FEAR the Waking Dead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ffaoe

Reaction score
Time to start a new TV show thread.

What did everyone think?

I thought the first hour was boring as hell, but the last half hour was a mere preview of what is to come. It will be pretty cool to see how things go down as $hit hits the fan already knowing how bad things will eventually get.

Yes, the martial law aspect will be interesting to see in upcoming episodes. It kind of sucks that they are only doing six episodes to test out the series.

It seems the zombie apocalypse started almost over night, I'm guessing a few weeks.
When they carted away the old guy that died in the same hospital room as the kid, it makes me wonder if the doctors at that point knew something was happening and that the old guy that just coded might turn at any moment.

Willing to bet the first season each episode well follow a different person/small group during about the same couple day time frame as the pilot episode. Likely not going to see martial law this season. They'll probably try to stretch out the pre-apocalypse weeks for a couple seasons or so.
And I agree, the first hour or so was dreadfully boring.

Agree that the first hour was pretty blah. I didn't really connect with any of the characters yet either, but I'm willing to give it a fair chance.

I thought the first hour was good. There was quite a bit of suspense even though they were just establishing characters and background. There were a few WTF? moments (going to the church at night, etc), but overall, I thought it was a pretty good pilot and am looking forward to next week.

There were a few WTF? moments (going to the church at night, etc),

I kept looking to see if Travis (that was his name right) was wearing a red shirt.

Going into a drug den at night is kinda dumb.

Then grabbing your girlfriend and bringing her there after you found blood and established that bad stuff happened is even dumber.

But meh, it's a show about dead people eating live people. So :mug:

I feel like those heroin addict zombies would have been a lot slower to make it out of that church. :/

Also, how the hell did they drive by the zombie at the end of the episode?

Yeah I thought it was a pretty bad opener too. Not just that it wasn't action-packed, but it just didn't capture me yet. The church-scenes could have been a lot more suspenseful etc. Definitely will keep watching though because the downfall will be awesome to watch.

There was nothing about the characters tha grabbed me.

I would happily see them all die in episode two.

A big meh for me.

Exactly. It's been some time since I watched Episode 1 of TWD, but I feel like I cared more about Rick & Co. from the get-go. Well, maybe not Lori...

With this bunch, I don't know. Everyone seems so bland. I can't tell if it's poor acting or just nothing for them do plot-wise yet. Ok...the son's a junkie who apparently takes plenty of time to keep his hair well-groomed. Daughter is an overachiever and clingy girlfriend. Mom scowls a lot and stuff. The step-dad is...there. I'm curious to see how they stretch this out into multiple seasons.

First hour was terrible. The last 30 min were pretty good. I look forward to the marshal law aspect of the show.

So true. My wife hated the mother character. Covered for her son, did nothing to help him and lashed out at anyone doing his job. The step-dad seemed to go above and beyond.

I am so looking forward to the confusion. The chaos when the biters are spreading but the populous still isn't ready to fight back.

Maybe we're being a bit hard on Mom. Between a drugged-out son, a cranky / skanky daughter, dealing with high school teen angst all day, and living in the cesspool of Los Angeles, I'm surprised she has retained any sanity. Her only ray of light is a guy with his own ex-wife and his own ******-y teen problems at home and at work.

I guess what I'm mostly trying to say is, teenagers are the devil. And LA.

Yeah, a pretty slow start... I think this would have been okay if The Walking Dead never existed. We're all a few years in already, so yeah, starting over from the beginning gives a different perspective, sure. But it sets an already cynical audience up to not care about many of the characters.

Do I care about the relationship between the father and the son that didn't want to spend the weekend with him? No! Because in all likelihood, that kid might not be on the show for very long. And if he is, well, we already have one Carl... We don't need another.

Out of all of the characters introduced in that first episode, I think the one that most stood out to me was the kid that brought the knife to school. And he probably didn't even have 5 minutes worth of screen time!

Out of all of the characters introduced in that first episode, I think the one that most stood out to me was the kid that brought the knife to school. And he probably didn't even have 5 minutes worth of screen time!

That kid is the Morgan of this series, mark my word, he'll show up in a season or two as a bad ass psycho killer.

What was wrong with that kids face? Does he scratch himself? I didn't understand why he muttered out, "we are safer in numbers!" Is he supposed to be from an already infected area? Oh, never mind I get it, he already watched the original walking dead too.

What was wrong with that kids face? Does he scratch himself?

Shows and movies frequently do not cast teenagers to play teenagers. He was probably a clear-complected twenty-something, so they faked the acne with (overdone) makeup.

...or he has a bad meth habit. Maybe he was hanging out at the same drug den? ;)

Thought it was a slow go opener, I guess I expected it to pick up faster than it did and get to it.

In any case, being from the same peeps from the "other" huge hit, I expect it to roll right along and will be tuning in.

I streamed the first episode on their website as I don't have cable. Best thing was I have AdBlock Plus installed and didn't have to watch a single commercial. Really enjoyed the momentum without being disturbed by 10 minutes of commercials every 5 minutes.

I streamed the first episode on their website as I don't have cable. Best thing was I have AdBlock Plus installed and didn't have to watch a single commercial. Really enjoyed the momentum without being disturbed by 10 minutes of commercials every 5 minutes.

The pilot actually wasn't terrible as far as commercial breaks go.

This week, on the other hand, seems to be back to business as usual. :(

Why the hell can't people act like real people in these shows. Travis: Where's our son? Exwife: What is going on? Travis: I'll tell you when I get there.

Really?

Daughter: Mr What's his name is attacking the neighbors. They need help. Mom: Locks the door and doesn't explain anything.

WTF? Real people don't act like this. Is everybody in this world an idiot?

I know it's a zombie show and belief has to be suspended, but...

Having said all of that I still enjoyed the show. The fire extinguisher scene was pretty intense.

^Agreed it was stupid mom didn't explain what she's seen to the daughter. It's like they need her not to so that the daughter can plausibly try to go do something stupid?

And mom and pizza-face collected all those canned goods from the school, then freaked and left them behind. Some survivors they'll be!

I've seen some vague allusions online to the mom harboring some sort of "dark secret" that is supposed to explain why she keeps sheltering the daughter. For now though, I'm leaning towards agrazela's theory.

One thing I think the show has handled well is the atmosphere and little events outside of the main characters' actions: the growing cacophony of sirens and police helicopters in the pilot, the first glimpses of walkers coming via viral video, the brief shot of the cop loading his trunk with bottled water. Even though the viewers already know how this ends up, they're doing a decent job of showing that something big is going down just off-screen.

One thing I think the show has handled well is the atmosphere and little events outside of the main characters' actions: the growing cacophony of sirens and police helicopters in the pilot, the first glimpses of walkers coming via viral video, the brief shot of the cop loading his trunk with bottled water. Even though the viewers already know how this ends up, they're doing a decent job of showing that something big is going down just off-screen.

Yep

You're right. But still, the characters are neither likable nor compelling.
When I catch a re-run of the original series, there's always something that makes you say "wow". I have yet to see a wow in this series.
And Sunday night football will be starting.

Why the hell can't people act like real people in these shows. Travis: Where's our son? Exwife: What is going on? Travis: I'll tell you when I get there.

Really?

Daughter: Mr What's his name is attacking the neighbors. They need help. Mom: Locks the door and doesn't explain anything.

WTF? Real people don't act like this. Is everybody in this world an idiot?

I know it's a zombie show and belief has to be suspended, but...

Having said all of that I still enjoyed the show. The fire extinguisher scene was pretty intense.

My wife and I kept yelling at the TV, "just tell her already!!"

In the beginning nobody believes someone can come back. Not until you are forced to kill a walker to save yourself or others does it sink in. You can't just tell her, she won't understand.

In the beginning nobody believes someone can come back. Not until you are forced to kill a walker to save yourself or others does it sink in. You can't just tell her, she won't understand.

I was a little disappointed - with both the pilot and the second episode.
They could have exploited some of the mental transition that happens as outbreak takes over the city a little better. The cop never hesitated much shooting the walker in the head, and the rest of the crowd didn't seem to care much.
The teacher went from trying to talk to the principal to beating him into a pulp with a fire extinguisher, in like 5 seconds. Did she somehow figured out he was a "dead" zombie already? If she thought he was just sick, why "kill" him once he was not a threat?

They could have exploited the parallel between the store owner helping them escape from the crowds and mom telling her daughter not to help neighbor being attacked. This is an interesting moral angle. At what point do you not care about helping someone else, if doing so carries risk to yourself?

Instead the whole thing seemed superficial and almost mechanical.

I was under the impression that the fire-extinguisher wielding mom has a secret which was telegraphed as: she was a bad junkie or addict of some sort in the past.

I can't believe they didn't take the canned food with them from the school... thats just stupid and I was yelling at my TV over it. Clearly the kid wanted/needed it. Ugh.

I agree that the show has been quick to show people going for the kill shots to the head. And I don't know any women who would be able to wield a fire extinguisher with enough ferocity to save the pizza-faced kid. Perhaps my life is lacking in that department.

So far, I'm not all that impressed. I feel like the main characters are getting around too easily. They don't fully realize how bad travel by car should be in this type of situation. The roads are shown to be clogged, but they still drive to their destinations in a timely manner. Dad and Ex wife were able to to see the ongoing protest on TV in a downtown area and yet were able to go from the burbs to downtown before the cops got there. LA is horrid for travel even without zombies. It is taking me out of the mood of the show. Hope it gets better.

I was under the impression that the fire-extinguisher wielding mom has a secret which was telegraphed as: she was a bad junkie or addict of some sort in the past.

I can't believe they didn't take the canned food with them from the school... thats just stupid and I was yelling at my TV over it. Clearly the kid wanted/needed it. Ugh.

I agree that the show has been quick to show people going for the kill shots to the head. And I don't know any women who would be able to wield a fire extinguisher with enough ferocity to save the pizza-faced kid. Perhaps my life is lacking in that department.

So far, I'm not all that impressed. I feel like the main characters are getting around too easily. They don't fully realize how bad travel by car should be in this type of situation. The roads are shown to be clogged, but they still drive to their destinations in a timely manner. Dad and Ex wife were able to to see the ongoing protest on TV in a downtown area and yet were able to go from the burbs to downtown before the cops got there. LA is horrid for travel even without zombies. It is taking me out of the mood of the show. Hope it gets better.

Agreed. I think it escalated a bit too quickly and with most characters adjusting too easily.

Oh, police shooting people in heads. Oh well, I guess that's Ok. 9-11 doesn't respond, and roads are clogged - that's just typical LA for you. Cops loading water in car and running away. Life as normal. People are getting some sort of virus and trying to bite at you - let's just assume they are zombies now, and beat their heads into a pulp.

I would have loved to see the moral story about how society goes from order to disorder to "everyone for himself" mentality, but at a bit slower, detailed pace. How people turn on each other, how panic escalates etc. Even Contagion, with no zombies, did this very well.

FTWD instead went from "police shoot a homeless man" to "lets riot and turn everything on fire" in like 10 seconds.

Finally, one thing that is missing from Walking Dead and also FTWD is the mere logistics of things. WD addressed it a bit early on but then forgot all about it.

In times of crisis and panic, what are the resources that are most needed? What do they do for clean water (especially with decaying walking corpses everywhere)? How long would canned foods, ammo, gasoline and other important commodities last? What about generating electricity? Water, food and energy got to be important here. As well as medicine, ammo etc.

In WD they seem to find infinite supplies of canned foods, ammo etc. in stores, homes - as if those areas were never affected by zombie epidemic and people just died very quickly. But in FTWD it should become clear that it would take weeks if not months for epidemic to take over, long after panic sets in, and most infrastructure shuts down. This is long enough to almost completely deplete any resources - all gas stations, any gas stored in most cars, any food in any store, should be completely gone by then - from basically all locations. Yet in Walking Dead, they routinely go to various stores "for supplies", and find seemingly infinite supplies of gasoline in every abandoned car.

It's only half-joke, but in Walking Dead scenario, they should all move to the mountains close to springs (can zombies climb steep hills?), invade houses equipped with solar roof panels and ride bicycles everywhere. Or at least priuses and scooters. Definitely not motorcycles, schoolbuses, tanks and giant fire trucks.

There was a show called Revolution that addressed the lack of ammo thing very well. Lots of gun fire, but also lots time ammo was conserved, and swords. In one episode, they flash back to soon after the power went out, and one character says to another that they are running out of ammo on all sides of the conflict. They'll be using swords soon. In other, someone remarks about not being able to make modern bullets any more.

Z Nation addressed it well, as well. Bullets are currency. Lots of stabbing and beating of zombies.

What annoys me in most zombie shows is that people never call the undead, zombies or realize until wayyyyy to late that there are zombies. I am fairly certain if I saw someone acting like a biter/walker I would call them a zombie.

Back