Favorite Westerns

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McBrewskie

Reaction score
Well lets hear it. Nothing like having a few beers and watching a great western.

For me personally, I love The Wild Bunch, The Searchers, Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid, and Winchester 73. Currently watching One-Eyed Jacks.

I am a relative young pup so I missed the hay day of the westerns. That said I am a big fan of the Man with no Name trilogy. D'jango Unchained was great and even though a lot of the movie takes place in the south it does have that great spaghetti western feel to it and those opening credits are just spot on western. But my all time favorite western has to be the absolutely amazing Unforgiven!

Good man. Django is a masterpiece, though I'm sure that will be disputed in this thread. Unforgiven was one of the movies I was thinking of watching tonight, so great.

Also young pup, if there is one thing I can tell you it's The Wild Bunch. All men must watch it.

Westerns are my favorite. Here are some of my go-to choices:
Ulzana's Raid
3:10 To Yuma
Meek's Cutoff
Open Range
All Eastwood films

Guilty pleasures:
Young Guns
Tombstone
Rio Bravo
Cowboys and Aliens

I can't believe I forgot Tombstone! Love that move and growing up not far the birth place of Doc Holiday makes it that much better. The remake of 3:10 Yuma is one of the more underrated movies of the last decade I think. I liked it even better than No Country for Old Men.

Westerns are my favorite. Here are some of my go-to choices:
Ulzana's Raid
3:10 To Yuma
Meek's Cutoff
Open Range
All Eastwood films

Guilty pleasures:
Young Guns
Tombstone
Rio Bravo
Cowboys and Aliens

Open Range is way under rated. Solid western.

El Dorado
True Grit
Outlaw Josey Wales
The Good the Bad and the Ugly
Two Mules for Sister Sarah
Big Jake

Not in any particular order.

Outlaw Jose Wales
the spaghetti westerns
True Grit
Rooster Cogburn
Treasure of the Sierra Madre
Rifleman
Gunsmoke
Unforgiven
Pale Rider
High Plains Drifter.....

Outlaw Jose Wales
the spaghetti westerns
True Grit
Rooster Cogburn
Treasure of the Sierra Madre
Rifleman
Gunsmoke
Unforgiven
Pale Rider
High Plains Drifter.....

Treasure of the Sierra Madre, can't believe I forgot it. One of the greatest films ever.

Yeah, both of the True Grit movies. Anything Eastwood did, especially Pale Rider and Outlaw Josie Wales......well, High plains drifter, too, and Unforgiven. Rio Lobo has always been one of my favs, Jack Elam was great in that. But as far as bad assed cowboyery, errr, gunfightery, Clint Eastwood simply cannot be beat.

My favorite westerns have to be any that has John Wayne in them. My #1 favorite, though, probably has to be a tie between "McLintock" and "The Cowboys".

Unforgiven
The good bad & the ugly
Tombstone
Fistful of dollars
For a few dollars more
The assassination of Jesse James by the coward Robert ford
The Proposition
Big Jake
True Grit (both versions)
Rooster Cogburn
Blazing Saddles
Rio Lobo
Hondo
City Slickers
Open Range
The magnificent seven
Last man standing
Maverick
Silverado
So many more...

Unforgiven
The good bad & the ugly
Tombstone
Fistful of dollars
For a few dollars more
The assassination of Jesse James by the coward Robert ford
The Proposition
Big Jake
True Grit (both versions)
Rooster Cogburn
Blazing Saddles
Rio Lobo
Hondo
City Slickers
Open Range
The magnificent seven
Last man standing
Maverick
Silverado
So many more...

Good call on The Proposition.

Ride the High Country- another Peckinpah classic.

High Noon- Gary Cooper at his finest

Once Upon a Time in the West- the gold standard for spaghetti westerns*

As for a TV series, Have Gun - Will Travel

* Django was crap

The Alamo (with John Wayne), How the West Was Won, She Wore A Yellow Ribbon, all the Clint Eastwood westerns, Open Range, Jeremiah Johnson, and so many more.
Regards, GF.

The Alamo (with John Wayne), How the West Was Won, She Wore A Yellow Ribbon, all the Clint Eastwood westerns, Open Range, Jeremiah Johnson, and so many more.
Regards, GF.

Jeremiah Johnson!!!
Outlaw Josie Wales
The Nebraskan
Lonesome Dove & Comanche Moon some people don't like it but I did.
Quigley Down Under

Yup The Proposition was a good one, glad someone mentioned it.
The short lived TV series Firefly and subsequent movie Serenity have a space cowboy kinda thing going on that should appeal to a lot of fans of the western genre.

masonsjax said:
The short lived TV series Firefly and subsequent movie Serenity have a space cowboy kinda thing going on that should appeal to a lot of fans of the western genre.

+1

Not a conventional western to be sure, but I think it counts. I get a real "the outlaw Josie wales" vibe from it, with all the post civil war Wild West parallels in the show.

Haven't seen the Magnificent Seven mentioned yet. Good one, for sure. Also:
The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kid
The Sons of Katie Elder
Maverick

Many of my other favorites already noted:

Silverado,
True Grit
Rooster Cogburn
The Cowboys
Support your Local Sheriff
Rio Bravo (and a young, hot Angie Dickinson!!!)
Rio Lobo
El Dorado

I almost hate to bring it up because this one has 2 potential strikes against it (it is set in the CA Gold Rush and is actually a musical featuring a ballad by none other than Clint Eastwood): Paint Your Wagon. Absolutely Hilarious!

Speaking of Butch Cassidy & The Sundance Kid,When I was a young teen,I had a buddy who's given name was Butch Cassidy. 1 guess what they called me!...I also went to jr high with Buffalo Bill's great grandson. He showed me pics I'd never seen before from his family's collection. For that matter,my wifes grandfather taught Johnny Wisemuller how to swim (Tarzan).

Latest posts

Back