Favorite Brewing Music

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So many metalheads here.

Where are all the punks and skins?!

I don't usually listen to anything but this thread has inspired me.

Think I'll kick it off with some straight up Oi! - 4Skins, Business, then by time I finish up the brew I'll be a little drunk and skanking to some old skinhead reggae and ska - skatalites, Desmond Dekker, Symarip.

I have a 250 GB hard drive full of mp3s so I start at one end of the playlist and it goes until I'm done.... 34,428 songs on that hard drive so far. Yesterday it was the Black Sabbath Discography
Used to love Sabbath until Ozzy sold his brain for rock and roll. :)

I love metal. But for brewing I usually prefer something chiller like Mars Volta, Danger Doom or Sublime.

The ol Itunes Shuffle.. usually consist of Killswitch Engage, All That Remains, Hank Williams III, HELLYEAH, and of course Pantera. in the background i hear SWMBO in between the sweet sweet sound of the Boil.

Usually the Sunday Session archives or some Basic Brewing Radio. Sometimes just random music off the Zune.

So many metalheads here.

Where are all the punks and skins?!

Right here (well the punk part anyway). Mostly old school punk.
Ramones, Dead Kennedys, Operation Ivy, The Queers, The Lillingtons, Black Flag, Screeching Weasel.

As you may have noticed, I was searching for music threads. Since I own a Mobile DJ business, music is a big part of my life. I love all kinds of music, and firmly believe there is great music in all genres (as well as crap music in all genres). There are classic examples of each type of music out there.

Anyway, was wondering what you all listen to while brewing, if anything? When BBQ'ing or brewing I lean towards some good blues or some classic country. How bout you?

I like to surf YouTube and watch music videos of all kinds during down time like the 60 minutes boil or whatnot.
When bottling I listen to slower more folky stuff so I'm relaxed and don't get anxious. Its more like Iron & Wine, Death Cab, Jack Johnson than some of the heavy stuff I also like.

When I brewed with Micheal, it was Frank Zappa or Ren 'n Stimpy. Brewing by myself, it's quiet.

Black Sabbath and Led Zepplin are the base of my musical foundation (from whom all metal was derived for yens young n's) but I had an epiphany after I started to homebrew. Check it out, I recently moved to a great location just outside of the city, there is a beautiful rustic barn about 100 ft from my house, I raised two chickens since they were 3 days old and I LEGALLY carry a concealed weapon. Theres also is a creek in my front yard plus the fact we home schooled our kids. BOOM there it is- I'm a Redneck by nature ! So to answer the threads main question... When I brew typically I'll listen HANK WILLIAMS JR.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4s0nzsU1Wg]YouTube - A Country Boy Can Survive[/ame]

I brewed outside yesterday, which meant no easily available music. But, going through my head the whole time were old irish tunes:

Rare Old Mountain Dew
Gypsy Rover
Jolly Tinker

etc :)

my music is usually all over the place. But the standard picks would be but not limited to:

My Morning Jacket
Calexico
Supersuckers (perfect brewing music)
Drive By Truckers
Dropkick Murphy's
Flogging Molly
The Sadies
Thievery Corporation
Mark Lanegan
Conor Oberst
Ween

I have to listen to music while brewing, I like a lot of stuff really.

Bluegrass of any sort, Punk (Anything from NoFx to The cramps, to operation Ivy, misfits), almost anything metal (Soulfly, hatebreed, Children of Bodom, Lamb of god, Dethklok) , I have recently really gotten into Muse, I LOVE me some Clutch, I could listen to them constantly. Kyuss I find to be extremely fitting to the brew process, sprinkle with QOTSA as well. Tool is a must have as is APC. Throw in certain country artists, early early blues.

Generally I am a punk and Metal guy, it's what I grew up with, my tastes have changed to include other genre's as I have gotten older. I love any music that makes me feel something. Mainly I love music.

Oh and at times when I am trying to help my brother learn while brewing we listen to Jamil's podcasts. I always learn something from these.

Not necessarily in this order:
Opeth
Killswitch Engage
Gojira
Satyricon
Sevendust
Bloodbath
Etc,Etc

Nothing like scaring the yeast while they are re-hydrating.
Cheers,
Brian

I don't think I've ever turned on music while brewing...guess Huey's just different. I'm usually in the zone and don't even think about it. And I don't have an iPod or satellite radio or good radio stations.

I use Pandora. I plug in either King Crimson, Hawkwind, Gong or Jethro Tull and take it from there.........It always ends up playing the same stuff though. I think they've refined the program a bit too much.

I usually crank a mix of Dropkick Murphys, Dubliners, Flogging Molly, and Tommy Makem.

Anyone brew in complete silence? If so, why?

I dig your style. I'm planning on cranking up "Tessie" next time with a Red Sox game on the tube in the background. Of course it's going to be an Irish Red or a Sam Adams clone. It's baseball season after all.

Pop the iPod into the speaker system and put it on shuffle. Everything from Old Crow Medicine Show to Thievery Corporation - with lots of variety in between.

I can't stand that yelling neo-Irish-pub-chantey kind of stuff, especially Dropkick Murphy's. Like a cross between good Irish music, Kid Rock and Chumbawumba. No offense. :)

I listen to a myriad of stuff, depends on the mood. My two favorite artists to brew by are probably Son Volt and The Hold Steady (especially the latter...nothing is better). For something more subdued and contemplative, Magnolia Electric Co. For good solid rock, Dire Straits or the Stones (pre-steel-wheels). If I'm in a real gritty badass Southern Rock mood, Drive-By Truckers and OCMS. To truly rock, AC/DC or Black Sabbath. Cheery pop mood: Camera Obscura. Dustbowl America Rock? Nebraska/Dark Side of Town-era Springsteen. Chill-out summertime music: G. Love.

I listen to a lot of angry music when I brew...

Slipknot, Disturbed....

But then again there are times when I'll listen to some Dean Martin, Frank Sinatra, Michael Buble.... Stuff Like that...

But I have a ritual when I brew... I must listen to Reel Big Fish - Beer every time no matter what... and at the end of the day... I usually listen to Reel Big Fish - Drunk Again...

Its inevitable... even if I'm not drinking.

Oh often I will throw on Billy Joel or Elton John just cause its good stuff

This thread has been done, but I have to say:

Dropkick Murphys = Irish + Chumbawumba + Kid Rock? Really? I actually kinda like Chumbawumba (for reasons I can't adequately explain), but there's no Kid Rock to be found anywhere in their stuff. I'm not saying you have to like them, but it's not rap/rock (whatever you want to call that genre I was regrettably into in high school) in the slightest.

Also, since we're arguing over music, let's get a few other things out of the way: your mother, anyone who doesn't like Dropkick Murphys is Hitler, and BMC is piss water.

Dropkick Murphys = Irish + Chumbawumba + Kid Rock? Really? I actually kinda like Chumbawumba (for reasons I can't adequately explain), but there's no Kid Rock to be found anywhere in their stuff. I'm not saying you have to like them, but it's not rap/rock (whatever you want to call that genre I was regrettably into in high school) in the slightest.

Also, since we're arguing over music, let's get a few other things out of the way: your mother, anyone who doesn't like Dropkick Murphys is Hitler, and BMC is piss water.
Ah dammit! I did a search and couldn't find it. I should've known.

And I don't get the DKM comparison either but whatever. They put on a helluva show and I like their music which is all that really matters.

Percussion comes from the kettles section, with a droning humm from the pump section, synthetic winds come from the PLC section iun a whisp of a single note in series, all amidst a steady stream of white noise from the burner section.

It's a neo-classical style from an original artist kown as the Brew Rig Orchestra. It's all the music I need, and really the only tunes I hear while brewing.

I do have a stereo wired in the garage but more often that not it's a buzz of background noise that interfere with my brewing nirvana. When the burners are off I tend to turn on the tunes (Adele, Coldplay, Led Zepplin, etc...) but, I tend to keep it off when everything is going full bore.

Mostly because I am usually too focused on what I am doing to care if the radio is on or not and because I want to hear the burner jets and the controller alerts. My controller is programmable for notes and acts as an assistant to remind me of action times. I tend to get so involved in the brew day chaos that checklists fail.

I usually have the TV on in the kitchen or I brew in silence because I forget to even think about putting on music, guess it is not that important to me to have on. Usually I listen to music for hours like once a month and then I have my fill. My co-worker has music on the radio all day so I guess in reality I get 8 hours a day 5 days a week so when I get home I prefer silence to more music.
On a side note one of my favorite "newer" bands (I am 48) is Green Day. I grew up listening to and playing music and I guess I burnt myself out with music.

Ah dammit! I did a search and couldn't find it. I should've known.

And I don't get the DKM comparison either but whatever. They put on a helluva show and I like their music which is all that really matters.

I respect your opinion, no matter how wrong it might be :D

When I say they're like Kid Rock, I don't mean a literal similarity, I'm talking about his propensity to yell and get "rowdy" whilst playing shallow, lazy music. They don't sound like Kid Rock stylistically, they just have the same dumb jackass "let's get drunk and yell" energy.

In any case, I'm just glad to finally be Hitler. Töten sie die Juden! Wir können nicht noch stehen, bis alle tot sind!

Back