Favorite All Around Lager Yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phunhog

Reaction score
Hey there,
Getting ready to brew a bunch of lagers this winter and want a single work horse lager yeast. I plan on brewing a Helles, Bo Pils, Schwartzbier, and probably an American Pilsner. I would rather have one "go to" lager yeast than different ones. What yeast do you recommend?

Hey there,
Getting ready to brew a bunch of lagers this winter and want a single work horse lager yeast. I plan on brewing a Helles, Bo Pils, Schwartzbier, and probably an American Pilsner. I would rather have one "go to" lager yeast than different ones. What yeast do you recommend?

I've been using WLP830:

WLP830 German Lager Yeast
This yeast is one of the most widely used lager yeasts in the world. Very malty and clean, great for all German lagers, Pilsner, Oktoberfest, and Marzen.
Attenuation: 74-79%
Flocculation: Medium
Optimum Fermentation Temperature: 50-55°F
(10-13°C)
Alcohol Tolerance: Medium

Today I just used a starter for a new yeast, WLP835. I'm brewing on Saturday, so I have no idea if this will be as good as the WLP830 or not for me!

I've just started using Saflager S-23. I've brewed a premium lager and German Pils with it so far. I'll also be doing an American Dark, a Munich Dunkel, and a doppelbock with it.

From the Fermentis website: "Originating from the famous VLB institute in Germany, true lager yeast capable of producing continental lagers with fruity, estery notes."

I've been using WLP830:

WLP830 German Lager Yeast
This yeast is one of the most widely used lager yeasts in the world. Very malty and clean, great for all German lagers, Pilsner, Oktoberfest, and Marzen.
Attenuation: 74-79%
Flocculation: Medium
Optimum Fermentation Temperature: 50-55°F
(10-13°C)
Alcohol Tolerance: Medium

IMHO, an exelent choice. Probably very close to the strains brought over by the German enigrants for the first American Pilsners. I love this yeast.

Hey there,

The already mentioned WL830 is a good AP lager yeast as are the WL838, Wyeast2308. However, IMO get a Czech Pils strain for the Bohemian Pils. The Wyeast2001 & 2278 are my first choices and the WL800 is also very good.

Back