Fat Squirrel Partial Mash recipe??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hopmadness

Reaction score
Anyone out there have a good partial mash recipe for a Fat Squirrel clone. I searched around a little but only found an all grain recipe. Thanks in advance for the help.

The all grain 10 gallon recipe is below......any thoughts on converting this to a partial mash 5 gallon batch?

Fat Squirrel Clone
10 gal

12 lb. Pilsner
2 lb. Munich
2 lb. CaraVienne
1.5 lb. Flaked barley
2 lb. Flaked oats
.5 lb. Chocolate Malt

1oz Mag 14.4% FWH
2oz Saaz 3.4% 10min

Mash 153F x 60min
Yeast 2565 Kolsch

The all grain 10 gallon recipe is below......any thoughts on converting this to a partial mash 5 gallon batch?

Fat Squirrel Clone
10 gal

12 lb. Pilsner
2 lb. Munich
2 lb. CaraVienne
1.5 lb. Flaked barley
2 lb. Flaked oats
.5 lb. Chocolate Malt

1oz Mag 14.4% FWH
2oz Saaz 3.4% 10min

Mash 153F x 60min
Yeast 2565 Kolsch

How much grain can you mash?

Can you find liquid pilsner extract? That would probably be the best base for this beer. If not, pale extract or light DME would be ok.

For a PM, I'd probably do something like this:

4 pounds liquid Pilsner extract

Grains:
1.5 pounds pilsner malt
1 pound Munich malt
1 pound flaked oats
12 ounces flaked barley
4 ounces chocolate malt
12 ounces caravienne malt

Put the grains in a very large grain bag, or use several smaller ones so that the grains are loose in the bag, and not packed in. (It's 5.25 pounds total) You can mash that in about 8 quarts (2 gallons) of water at 154 degrees for 45 minutes. You can sparge with up to 2.5 gallons of 170 degree water to get your boil volume. Then add the extract and bring to a boil.

As far as hopping, I'd do this:

.75 ounces of magnum (60 minutes)
1.5 ounces of Saaz (10 minutes)

It's nice to see this on here.....This was an early-on favorite of mine.....I love New Glarus......

Check that......just ordered a plate chiller and Blinchman pot.....ready to go all grain now. So, that 10 gallon all grain recipe....to cut it down to 5 gallons should I half everything INCLUDING the hops....or just the grain. Can't wait for the first all grain batch:D

Check that......just ordered a plate chiller and Blinchman pot.....ready to go all grain now. So, that 10 gallon all grain recipe....to cut it down to 5 gallons should I half everything INCLUDING the hops....or just the grain. Can't wait for the first all grain batch:D

I have the 5 gallon recipe posted. I think Bernie Brewer just doubled everything to make the 10 gallon batch.

Did anyone go through with the 5 gallon partial mash for Fat Squirrel? How was it? I'd like to try this in the upcoming months after I do my Coffee Bender.

Back