Fastferment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rotorgoat

Reaction score
Hello all. I’m fairly new to home brewing but since lockdown I’ve done 30 bottles of CC Merlot (This didn’t go too well), 6 bottles of CC Pinot Grigio (Very very pleased). I’ve also done 80 pints of festival Razorback IPA (Great beer) and just kegged 40 pints of Festival Golden stag.
I bought a Fastferment and did the Golden stag in it for secondary (already started in a bucket and couldn’t wait to try).
My question is that I’m about to do 30 bottles of Kenridge Trilogy red wine in the FF and don’t want to mess it up. My last CC Merlot has a kind of sulphur smell when the bottles are opened. I did this in buckets and carboys, filtered it too. I must have either oxidised it or rushed it?
There is a guide on another forum on how to do wine in the FF from the makers. Any help or guidance will be appreciated as I need this red to work!! (Wife not pleased as there is brewing equipment everywhere)
I’m planning on following the instructions with timings but to put the oak chips in a hop bag and hanging it through the airlock with some glass marbles in the bag to help it sink. Has anyone done this? My other question is about the dumping process. When I close the valve and clean out the bulb, what is to stop me refilling the container with wine from the sampling port? If I then reattach it, this would reduce oxygen getting into the wine? Would this work? If I can get this wine to be drinkable then I may get clearance to continue this hobby from my wife. Fingers crossed and happy brewing. Stay safe.

Welcome to HBT and the hobby!

I dont do wine but my first fermenter was the FF. Not sure what your asking but when I would dump the collection ball on day 7 I wouldn't put it back on . Yes it will introduce o2 if you do and then open it . Anything else that settles after the dump stays under the sampling port . Anytime I open a fermenter which is hardly at all I purge with co2

Thanks a lot. I was just seeing if it would be ok to fill the collection bottle with wine/beer from the sampling port on the FF (rather than co2 or distilled water). Only because I don’t have a method to introduce co2 right now.

Once you dump the collection ball you shouldn't have to re connect it to catch yeast . Like I said though , this is with beer not wine . I'm not familiar with wine and how much settles. If you have to reconnect to collect more then you just gotta do what ya gotta do . I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Back