Wine smell

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rotorgoat

Reaction score
Hi all. I’m now onto my third lot of wine. The first was a disaster (CC Merlot), the second was a 6 bottle CC Pinot Grigio (this was great). I’m now onto a 30 bottle Kenridge Classic Trilogy. It’s at about day 10 so it says to wait till day 14 before stabilising and then clearing. I’ve just tested the wine using a hydrometer. The original SG was 1097 and now it’s at 992. This seems about right, even a bit quick? The wine smells exactly like my first one. A slight Sulphur Dioxide smell. Can someone tell me how it should smell by now? It’s not an egg smell, just not sure?? I’m worried that I’ve buggered it like the first? Shall I just continue with the process until day 26 and hope it will be fine. The CC Merlot I did in buckets and carboys. I also filtered it. It looks great, just doesn’t taste that great. I love red wine so was hoping I either rushed the first one and should just be patient with this one. I’m doing the Kenridge in a fastferment. Thanks in advance.

Thanks for your reply. As I’m new to wine making, can someone say whether it’s ok to have mild sulphur smells towards the end of fermentation (day 14). Will the addition of sulfites/sorbate and degassing expel the Sulfur smells? Also does anyone use the fastferment on here for wine? Is it ok to take off the collection container, clean and sanitise it and then refill from the sampling port before replacing? (There are posts that say to use distilled water or purging with CO2). Cheers

Back