FastFerment: Oxigenation with second collection ball?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eulipion2

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hello!
I'm interested in the FastFerment system, but I have a concern. As I understand it, during primary you leave the collection ball open, allowing yeast/trub to settle into it. After primary you can remove and empty the ball and reattach it for secondary.

My concern is that when you reattach the ball the unsanitized, oxygen-rich air inside the ball will then bubble up through your beer. Sanitizing the ball would help with sanitation, but what about oxygenation? Could this lead to oxidized beer? Is it recommended to flush the ball with CO2 before reattaching?

Thanks!

Use the search function and search "fastferment" and you'll find this has been discussed quite a bit here and the consensus it it doesn't effect the final product...

the search feature in forums is not very accurate, and it seldom gets you to the answer. I have found searching google will get you closer to the answer as it will reference many forums.. As for your question, I don't believe it is a problem. After and during fermentation, there is always CO2 in the headspace and any air gets pushed out the top and out the bubbler or blow-off tube. I'm not a scientist, but having done 6 brews in my fastfermenters, I see better beer quality than using my buckets, carboy.

Why? tell me how you get gravity readings from a bucket or carboy? You expose it to oxygen, right? Not to mention you need to dip into it in some kind of object to collect beer; thus, increasing contact and opportunity for infection... With the FastFerment you can pull some beer from the bottom valve or do as I did and add a petcock valve to the fermenter and taste beer any time you darn well feel like it! **Not to mention you will never rack to secondary again (again, exposure to oxygen...)

it's really a lean-manufacturing discussion and understanding waste variables. How ever each brewer chooses to eliminates waste (touch-points) and reduce handling and exposure can only improves the process and minimize opportunity less than expected results. Depending on your personal process, you just have to think it through to see if it will make it better or worse than you expect.

as far as oxygenating your beer, no worse than taking gravity readings from a bucket or carboy. Personally, I would never go back to carboy or bucket, but it's just my process of manufacturing that makes it all work.

good luck!:mug:

Thanks, redwing. I've been toying with switching over to Speidel fermenters, but then these FFs came out and I've been kinda curious. I don't really take many samples. I know it's probably horrible to say, but I tend to leave my beer alone for 3-4 weeks. My ales are always finished by then, and I take my FG readings from the bottling bucket before priming, or from the keg post-transfer. The only real chance for exposure comes when I put the auto-siphon in, which I wouldn't need with the FF (or the Speidel.)

Are you able to prime and bottle from the FF since all the trub is removed in the collection balls?

I like the yeast harvesting capabilities, and lagering seems like it'd be a breeze! My only holdup is the height. I might have a hard time using the FF (37") in a fermentation chamber vs a Speidel (~20"). Otherwise I think I'm sold.

Huh, kinda got off topic. Either way, thanks for the answers!

Thanks, redwing. I've been toying with switching over to Speidel fermenters, but then these FFs came out and I've been kinda curious. I don't really take many samples. I know it's probably horrible to say, but I tend to leave my beer alone for 3-4 weeks. My ales are always finished by then, and I take my FG readings from the bottling bucket before priming, or from the keg post-transfer. The only real chance for exposure comes when I put the auto-siphon in, which I wouldn't need with the FF (or the Speidel.)

Are you able to prime and bottle from the FF since all the trub is removed in the collection balls?

I like the yeast harvesting capabilities, and lagering seems like it'd be a breeze! My only holdup is the height. I might have a hard time using the FF (37") in a fermentation chamber vs a Speidel (~20"). Otherwise I think I'm sold.

Huh, kinda got off topic. Either way, thanks for the answers!

a lot of people dont take readings, then a lot of people do. I didn't until the FF. Now I take tastes all the time! :) Yes, I'm certain you can bottle from the FF although I have not since I started to keg.

By the way, I do not add the collection ball until fermentation has slowed. Once it slows, then I add a c-ball and pull trub/yeasts... I'll do one more c-ball swap a few days before kegging too. that seems to be the best method for me.

As long as fermentation is still slightly active the yeast should uptake any oxygen I would think.

Back