Oxygen control in fastferment conical

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joral

Reaction score
Hello,
I'm about to start a 5 gal batch of medium sweet mead in an 8 gal fastferment conical. I plan on using the collection ball to do the "racking" so the mead never leaves the conical until bottling. The aerating, degassing, and staggered nutrient additions look like they will be easy because of the rather wide opening at the top of the fermenter. After the primary fermentation is mostly over Im wondering about oxygen control. There is no "neck" so the headspace will be huge. Ive never used a conical and was thinking about using campden tablets after the primary to help control oxygen. Is there a better way to prevent oxidation after the majority of fermentation is complete using the fastferment conical? Thanks.

I'm using the TONSA 3 method so probably about 60 days. Sounds like I will be ok then. Would it be worth it to use an argon wine preservative at any point? I was once advised to consider that after primary is done and when back sweetening.

Latest posts

Back