FastFerment conical fermenter??????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone had experience with the collection ball opening getting clogged? I went to move something to secondary today and now the ball won't fill up.

Yeah plenty of people have had it happen. Especially if you have a lot of trub. You can sanitize a knife with the ball off to kinda break it up. Or I use a long handle spoon from the top down to break it up

Yes. My collection ball clogs. I dry hopped an IPA then cold crashed. All those hopes caked into the FF cone and wouldn't drop out. The barb for the racking hose was too small. I ended up using my siphon to transfer to the keg.

Yes. My collection ball clogs. I dry hopped an IPA then cold crashed. All those hopes caked into the FF cone and wouldn't drop out. The barb for the racking hose was too small. I ended up using my siphon to transfer to the keg.

That sucks! Makes you wonder why you even have it if you have to rack manually. They did make some improvements obviously over the V Vessel but could've been better.

I haven't had this happen yet. I've done a number batches in it so far, but I also empty the ball periodically during the first few days of fermentation. Perhaps this makes a difference? I also rap on the sidewall here and here to cause "landslides" inside. But I haven't dry-hopped in the FF yet, either.

Hey all
I fixed the clog. Had to bang a bit on the fermenter which didn't do much. Opened and closed the valve alot. Finally I took the ball off a second time (which was empty because it was blocked). Then I opened the valve with a glass under it to catch anything. This seemed to work and I was able to get things moving. BTW I'm using the belle saison yeast in a recipe. Ferments like a beast!!!!

In case anyone didn't know there's two versions of the ball valve and union fitting -- and from my experience they don't play well together. Finally got a working set now thanks to their customer service.

In case anyone else is having issues, here's some pics of the two types.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1441319184.588724.jpg
Old version with notches in light grey plastic (left)
New version without notches in dark grey plastic (right)

I also have the valve and union fitting on the right....not sure which is the better of the two. Maybe someone with the combo on the left can chime in?? Either way, I've had no issues with clogging of any sort, then again I practice trub and hops management to the fullest. Nor any leaking issues after applying a few of the tips offered in this thread :)

Are you talking about something like this?
View attachment 303145

If so, parts list and price (U.S. Plastics)
View attachment 303146

Edit: also there's the elbow barb on there -- pretty nice if you're using their stand.
View attachment 303147

Wow, nice! That's a combo thermowell/valve I'm assuming? That would work as well, allthough it looks a tad bulky. I'm just looking for an option in gravity testing. I currently have my temp controller probe in the thermowell. Are you using the thermowell location? Looks like you are, but can't confirm in the pic. Thanks for all the parts info :mug:

Wow, nice! That's a combo thermowell/valve I'm assuming? That would work as well, allthough it looks a tad bulky. I'm just looking for an option in gravity testing. I currently have my temp controller probe in the thermowell. Are you using the thermowell location? Looks like you are, but can't confirm in the pic. Thanks for all the parts info :mug:

Yea, it's a 6" SS thermowell/valve, and it's in the existing thermowell. It is a little bulky compared to the original, but it requires no extra drilling and works well.

Are you talking about something like this?
View attachment 303145

If so, parts list and price (U.S. Plastics)
View attachment 303146

Edit: also there's the elbow barb on there -- pretty nice if you're using their stand.
View attachment 303147

I was wondering about the one the drill the ff and added a bottling bucket port.

Taking gravity samples up until now has been a PITA. Should be a bit easier now :ban:. Will be testing it out this upcoming weekend :mug:

Hi Everyone,

Hope you are well and ready for the weekend!

Just wanted to send out a quick note about the FastFerment Temperature Control Jacket that we just launched a pre-sale for! Hoping you could check it out and help spread the good word!

http://fastbrewing.com/content/tjacket

Have a great weekend and thanks for the support!

Happy FastFementing!

Best - Cheers,

Casey & The FastBrewing and WineMaking Team

Just wanted to send out a quick note about the FastFerment Temperature Control Jacket that we just launched a pre-sale for! Hoping you could check it out and help spread the good word!
Casey & The FastBrewing and WineMaking Team

Casey is there even a rough estimate when these will be available to ship? :mug:

We are doing our best to have stuff ship for December 1.

But that will depend on how quickly the pre sale is funded, the new manufacture hitting their lead times, and the shipping time it will take to receive them. So depending is there are delays it might take till later in December to ship.

But that is our goal December 1.

Thanks for helping spread the word - and if you have questions please feel free to email so we aren't spamming the threads.

[email protected]

Have a great week everyone!

Cheers,

CB

Not sure if this has been mentioned earlier in the thread, but I found an easy way to clear the bottom when it gets clogged with trub. Just pull the airlock, put the tube from your CO2 regulator over the airlock hole and open and close the shutoff valve until the trub goes into the ball. Worked very fast and easily.

View attachment 1442848076546.jpg

We are doing our best to have stuff ship for December 1.

Any plans for something like below? My SWMBO has been working on our first "prototype". I am chilling each fermenter with glycol immersion chillers therefore I would prefer a tighter blanket than chamber.

20150921_212224.jpg

DeBrewer....Sweet setup!:D

Thank you! Well, I will pass on the praise to the Seamstress Who Must Be Obeyed. She is going to make a cover to go over it out of some black material that will hopefully shed any spills. Similar premise as the brewjacket outer cover. Unfortunately for her, she needs to make 3 more of these... :ban:

Any plans for something like below? My SWMBO has been working on our first "prototype". I am chilling each fermenter with glycol immersion chillers therefore I would prefer a tighter blanket than chamber.

There is a more "chamber" type jacket now that I'll be ordering (as you say, not really the best for glycol) but this is a nice build. :) Congrats to the seamstress.

I just won the contest over at FastFerment!
They'll be sending me:
1 FastFerment + 1 Sampling Port + 2 Packs of FastLabel’s (choice of beer or wine)

Was thinking about buying one to try it out, now I get to! :)

Thanks FastBrewing! :mug:

The guy over at my lhbs said the the sampling port is a new accessory that Fast Rack will be selling soon, he also said you will have to drill a hole for it.

Wondering why Fast Brewing has kept the sampling port under wraps...I can't find any info on it anywhere. Seeing as they just released info on their new temp control jacket for the fast fermenters, I figured if such was true, they would've also released info on a product that the masses have been calling for.

They don't have any info on their website about the sampling port, but they posted this in the other thread on 09-18-2015, 01:13 PM

Hey HomeBrew Talk Members,

It’s Brittney with the FastBrewing & WineMaking team! The much anticipated release of our Temperature Control Jacket is here! We are launching a pre-sale for this product today for $55.00 USD shipped to your home (in contiguous USA, while quantities last).

We wanted to specifically notify you since you showed interest for this new accessory & want to ensure that you don’t miss out on this amazing deal.

Order your jacket here: http://www.fastbrewing.com/content/tjacket

To sweeten the pot even more, we are holding a contest to win a FastFerment. If you refer a friend to purchase a Temperature Control Jacket & they successfully make the purchase, your name will be entered each time you refer someone and they purchase. The more friends that buy, the more chances you have to win a FastFerment! Just send me an email with your referrals & we’ll confirm the purchase.

We hope you enjoy our newest FastFerment accessory. Stay tuned for the next accessory, a sampling port & send us any suggestions of what else you’d like to see from us at FastBrewing & WineMaking.

Thanks for getting involved!

Cheers,

Brittney

Wondering why Fast Brewing has kept the sampling port under wraps...I can't find any info on it anywhere. Seeing as they just released info on their new temp control jacket for the fast fermenters, I figured if such was true, they would've also released info on a product that the masses have been calling for.

It's on their website FAQ number 37.

It's on their website FAQ number 37.

I'm aware of that info, I just thought it had already been released, and nothing had been mentioned of it. I jumped the gun a bit, had forgotten about their recent thread on the giveaway and the fact that the port had been mentioned.

Anyone figure out a decent method for a blowoff? Doing a 1.128 Imperial Stout with 3.5 Gallons of Head Space and its spitting like crazy. Go Bayanus. GO!

Latest posts

Back