Fast working yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluehen16

Reaction score
I brewed 2 batches this weekend, a stout and an IPA. Using dry yeast packets about 1/3rd ounce. Bam again the yeast just exploded withing 6 to 8 hours, went like made for about 48 hours and just came to a halt.
Shouldn't the yeast be bubbling the airlock a few days? Is a full 1/3rd ounce yeast pack rehydrated to much for 5 gallons? Thanx!

11 grams is most common for a 5 gallon batch, but that all depends on the starting gravity and ale/lager.

Bubbling isn't a good guage of active fermentation. You need to trust in your hydrometer!

My brain hurts. I assume by 1/3 oz you mean a 10 or 11 gram sachet? Not sure what you're asking, but...... a sachet of yeast isn't too much for most 5 gal batches. In fact, it may not be enough depending on the OG of the brew. 6-8 hours is a normal lag time. Yeast don't bubble the airlock, co2 does, and it means very little after the first 48-72 hours of active fermentation.

Relationship of the activity of the yeast to the final ABV?? This may be off the topic - but I've been wondering about whether a lively bubbling batch will end up with a higher ABV. I've had some blow up and some just tick over for a few days and stop. I'm pretty new to this and don't really check the hydrometer like I should.

What was the fermentation temperature? Are you using a water bath to help stabilize it?

Pitch rate will effect attenuation a small amount, and therefore final ABV. higher pitch rates lead to faster fermentation and slightly more attenuation.

Bam again the yeast just exploded withing 6 to 8 hours, went like made for about 48 hours and just came to a halt.

Let me guess----did you use Windsor? It's known for doing that. The last batch I used it in did the same even though I had it at a controlled 66*F (on the side of the bucket). Nottingham can take off fast too (and you want to be sure to keep it below 68*F).

Shouldn't the yeast be bubbling the airlock a few days? Is a full 1/3rd ounce yeast pack rehydrated to much for 5 gallons? Thanx!

Just because it's not bubbling doesn't mean it's not fermenting.

An 11g packet is fine for a 5.25 gallon batch of wort with an OG of 1.059 or lower (according to Mr. Malty - your results may vary).

Back