Fan for Keezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For my fan I am using this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CHXUSGS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and for my power cord i went with https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DM7H5HI/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have it attached to 2" pipe that I ran down and around the bottom. IMG_0598 2.JPGIt works like a charm.

I use an AC Infinity low speed fan. I have nothing but good things to say about that brand. They have several options: 120V, 12V, low speed, high speed, size, etc.

I positioned it on the bottom, beneath my faucet shanks, blowing upward. I put little pieces of vinyl tubing on the screws that came with it to make "feet" for the "legs" that hold it off the bottom of the freezer.

This fan arrangement works really well. I get a temp differential of 1-2 degrees between the bottom and top.

IMG_20190606_172931_508.jpg IMG_20190912_071955_798.jpg

I routed my beer lines around the perimeter for two reasons. The first is to keep them out of the way when changing kegs. The second is so that cold air being blown upward can circulate freely around them.

I don't have foaming issues even with short (7ft) lines. Right angle shank adapters and flow control faucets provide some back pressure, even with the flow control wide open. It all balances nicely, and makes good pours without having long loops of tubing that are in the way.

I'm looking into getting a chest freezer keezer.

Based on my experience, I suggest using a refrigerator w/ the ability to dehumidify, especially if you live in a humid climate.

I had keezers for years and they were always swampy wet and moldy inside....and required cleaning etc...switched to a fridge and think it’s a better route for this reason.
Jme

I use an AC Infinity low speed fan. I have nothing but good things to say about that brand. They have several options: 120V, 12V, low speed, high speed, size, etc.

I positioned it on the bottom, beneath my faucet shanks, blowing upward. I put little pieces of vinyl tubing on the screws that came with it to make "feet" for the "legs" that hold it off the bottom of the freezer.

This fan arrangement works really well. I get a temp differential of 1-2 degrees between the bottom and top.

View attachment 672443 View attachment 672444

I routed my beer lines around the perimeter for two reasons. The first is to keep them out of the way when changing kegs. The second is so that cold air being blown upward can circulate freely around them.

I don't have foaming issues even with short (7ft) lines. Right angle shank adapters and flow control faucets provide some back pressure, even with the flow control wide open. It all balances nicely, and makes good pours without having long loops of tubing that are in the way.

I use a little computer fan powered with a hacked charger cable on my keezer but got one of these for my fermentation chamber upright freezer. Much much better way to go. I will be replacing the one on my keezer soon. The 120v corded version is so much less hassle.

...I suggest using a refrigerator w/ the ability to dehumidify, especially if you live in a humid climate....I had keezers for years and they were always swampy wet and moldy inside....and required cleaning etc...

When I built my keezer I bought two of these dehumidifiers. I swap them out every month or so. I live in a very humid location, and I've had zero mold. In a year I haven't even had a need to clean the inside of the keezer.

They plug into a wall socket, a little internal heater dries them out so they can be used over and over. Once it's dry, I store it in a ziplock until it's time to use it.

View attachment 672443 View attachment 672444

i must ask, what size and model freezer do you have?

...what size and model freezer do you have?

Magic Chef 5.2 cu.ft. It holds 2 5gal corny kegs on the floor, and two 3gal kegs on the shelf.

I got it for $90 brand new, the box was slightly water damaged. I was originally looking for a freezer to hold four 5gal kegs on the floor, but when I came across that deal I just bought it. Turns out it's just right.

Magic Chef 5.2 cu.ft. It holds 2 5gal corny kegs on the floor, and two 3gal kegs on the shelf.

I got it for $90 brand new, the box was slightly water damaged. I was originally looking for a freezer to hold four 5gal kegs on the floor, but when I came across that deal I just bought it. Turns out it's just right.
.. hmmm...i think i need to get away from the pin style converter kegs. As mine sits, i can only fit 3 in mine (coke styles)... 4 would be nice.

...i can only fit 3 in mine (coke styles)... 4 would be nice.

One of the 3gal kegs overhangs the shelf, so I built a little extension for it to sit on. Underneath the extension is a quart of Starsan for my temp controller probe, which goes into a DIY thermowell in the top of the jar.

IMG_20200324_181349944_HDR.jpg

Back