False Start Starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mazaman

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm brewing Jamil's American Wheat Ale from Brewing Classic Styles, so I made a 2 liter starter of WLP 320 (American Hefe) as Jamil suggested. I made the starter about 2 weeks ago and everything went well. On that Friday I put the starter in the fridge with the anticpation of brewing on that Sunday and ended up with a pretty healthy sludge layer on the bottom. On that Sunday morning, I took the starter out of the fridge to let the starter come up to pitching temperature (although I waited to pour off the starter wort) with the anticipation of brewing that day. There was an unexpected family emergency that kept me from brewing that day, so I put the starter back in the fridge.

Last Friday, I attempted brewing the American Wheat again, so I took the starter of the out of fridge to let it come up to pitching temperature. So the beer was proceeding awell nd I just finished the boil when I found out the hard way that I left water in my IC and the copper pipe had a rupture from the ice. So I had to dump the beer. So I put the starter back in the fridge again.

I've reordered the grain bill and I'll proably try rebrewing the American Wheat on Friday. My question is: can I still use this same starter or has the yeast been stressed too much by coming up to pitching temperature and then back down into the 40's to many times? Should I wash the yeast and try another starter? If that's the case, do I do another 2 liter starter or does that run the risk of pitching too many yeast cells?

Thanks in advance
Craig

Try adding a little more DME (at pitching temps - 65-70) to make sure the yeast are still alive, healthy, and willing to ferment your sugars. IMHO, yeast are resilient little buggers and they should be fine. I doubt you will be pitching too many yeast cells. Best of luck.

-Matt

Latest posts

Back