False Dunkel - Mashing in right now!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Foreigner

Reaction score
Hey all: Well, I decided to brew today after all. Creativity trumped laziness. Hey, it can happen :)

2 batches, one mash.

There is a commercial brew I enjoy called headstrong munich lager, which I am not trying to clone (not even close :p ), but I think it is something of a dunkel, but without all the dunkel. Too dark to be a helles tho.

It's hot here, so they will be done with neutral ale yeast...or maybe a lager yeast at ale temps...Moohahahahahahahahha!

Brew 1 - False munich dunkel

9# pils
1# light Munich
1/8# chocolate
1/8 60L crystal (steeped, not in the mash so as to avoid getting any in the 2nd brew)

1.5 oz Hersbrucker for 60 mins of 90 min boil

Brew 2 - Who knows? - something between a lawnmower and a real beer

6# 2 rox pils
.5# light munich
1/8# chocolate
1# corn sugar

0.25oz 10% target.

I love the smell of mashin in the morning...

Anyone else brewing right now? I've got 1/2 hour to kill before I start to sparge...

Some info. This is the first time hand milling my own grain - which was a pain in the ass, btw. I saw all the warnings on here, threw caution to the wind, and did it. I think I got a good crush but it took too damn long. I guessed I would get an efficinecy of 60% in Qbrew just to be safe. You know, better too high than too low I think...well, my efficiency is WAY better than that I overshot my targets a little...I'm guessing its 75-80% Yahoo. So much so that my munich dunkel is more like a bock (maybe not quite) and my lighter one is still going to end up around 5%abv.

I am crash chilling the two in an ice bath right now...they smell and taste great, btw.

Fermentation is in the explosive stage for the lager yeast, the ale is starting to quiet down a little already :)

Back