False Bottom Primer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bschot

Reaction score
I'm putting together a dream system and I'm planning on have a keggle mash tun with a false bottom. What I was wondering is does anyone have any helpful hints for using false bottoms.

Thanks

Brian

I'm putting together a dream system and I'm planning on have a keggle mash tun with a false bottom. What I was wondering is does anyone have any helpful hints for using false bottoms.

Thanks

Brian

One thing I've found with my new set up (only 4 batches old!) is that having the bottom draining MLT with a false bottom that is actually attached to the vessel has been so much easier for me! I've knocked off my tubing before when stirring my mash. I also like the lowered amount of deadspace with the bottom draining MLT.

Get a 15 incher, with a hinge, and a handle.

From NorCal/Jaybird... :D

Look over the installation instructions before you go at installing it too. Figure out how much wort you'll leave behind, and also found on about 3 quarts of 'dead space' under the bottom (where grain will not go).

I would also be sure to either add a thermometer, or thermalwell, to the side of the keggle mash tun. Or, if you have the top from another keg that will work as a lid, make a TC fitting with a center thermowell to send a probe down so that you can get a temperature reading without opening the mash tun up.

Thank you for your input. I was looking for what kind of grind to use, I currently have my mill set at .30 and hit about 80% efficiency. Do I need a larger grist and I plan on using a pump to recirculate and then transfer to kettle. I was looking for tips on how to begin the process without sticking the mash.

Thanks again,

Brian

I crush at about .038" (assuming you left out a '0' on your crush gap)... I found that if you go too fine, then you will either clog up your manifold/false bottom/screen or it will go through and you'll get clogs in other places.

If you want to take out some insurance against a stuck sparge, get some rice hulls. 4oz of rice hulls with about 15# of grain seems to do a good job. I've had good results with 6oz and ~21# of grain too. So 4-6oz (less if your grain bill is smaller, but it won't do any harm to use 4oz in a smaller grist) should do you some good.

I think if I go below about .035" on the crush, some could get through the NorCal false bottom.

Thank you that is exactly the sort of information I was looking for.

Thanks

Brian

Latest posts

Back