F.G. Stop already!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sremed60

Reaction score
I just brewed a Zombie Dust clone recipe I found online. The recipe calculated an O.G. of 1.071 and a F.G. of 1.024 which would have given it a 6.2% abv, (which I believe is what the real Zombie Dust has). My O.G. came in at 1.064. It was a tad lower than the software I use had calculated, which has always been (until this) reasonably accurate. I wasn't too worried - so the abv wouldn't be quite as high? As long as it tastes good who cares?

This morning I opened it up to dry hop and take a F.G. reading. It rang in at 1.010????? HUH???

Curious as to what might have accounted for my numbers being so far off?

I used Wyeast London ESB 1968, (which the recipe called for), and did a 1 liter starter, so I pitched plenty of yeast. I pitched it at 64* and let it sit there for 24 hours, then clicked it up 1 degree every 24 hours until 68* and left it there for 2 days. I dry hopped it and plan to let it sit at 70* for 5 or 6 days and then bottle.

Just curious why the numbers were so far off? The sample I took this morning still smelled amazingly sweet, (in spite of the low F.G.). I used 3.25 ounces of Citra hops (5 additions) during the boil and was surprised at how subdued the hop aroma (and taste) were. I added 1.5 ounces to the primary - hopefully that'll kick it up a notch.

Pretty much. I don't think Zombie dust is 1.024, I'll get out the hydrometer next time I buy some and test it out. 1.024 is great for my RIS, but not so much on an IPA.

Agreed with above posts. 1.024 would be incredibly sweet and unpleasant tasting. Dust is 6.2%, and since you want it to come out a bit dry, 1.058-1.060 should be a target OG.

If I had to guess after a quick search this is the only clone I could find where the numbers match his http://beersmithrecipes.com/viewrecipe/1254/sandman-zombie-dust-clone

I'm doing the zombie dust clone that's posted on here by skeezerpleezer using the same yeast as OP and after 4 days I was already down to 1.013, as everyone else has said 1.024 is not a FG you want.

what was your mash temp? what was the grain bill?
Recipe called for 156* - mine came out to 155* for 60 min, (which I was pleased with).
11.0 lbs - 2 row
1.0 lb - Munich
0.5 lb - Carafoam
0.5 lb - Crystal 60L
0.5 lb - Melanoiden

13.5 lbs of grain, 16 qts of water for mash

Thanks guys. I've never had a beer finish at 1.024 and I don't know if I've ever seen a recipe with that F.G., so no red flags went up - I've only been brewing a year so I still assume everything I read comes from more experienced and knowledgeable brewers.

The recipe I started with was a Zombie Dust clone recipe I found in the BeerSmith II cloud. Since I've never had the real Zombie Dust I wasn't too worried about making an exact clone. (I have no way to compare). It was more of a starting point. The original recipe had an abv of 5.2% or 5.4% or something like that, so I knew from the start it wasn't an exact clone. His efficiency was a lot lower than mine. When I changed his equip profile for mine the numbers went all haywire. I kept the original ingredients and procedures, but I tweaked the amounts slightly to get the numbers where I wanted them. I think his recipe called for 10 lbs of 2-row, I bumped mine up to 11. I wasn't worried about scaling his recipe exactly, since his abv was a lot lower than the real Zombie Dust anyway.

So to make a long story short, I probably could have left out the part that this was originally a Zombie Dust clone recipe - that was simply a starting point, but was never intended to be the final result.

Hopefully this will turn out okay. I'll know in two and a half weeks.

Cheers! and thanks again :mug:

its probably better that it dropped to 1.01. ive made the clone before and mine finished at 1.017 and it was too sweet. If i made it again id aim for around 1.012 FG.

If I remember right, I believe this is the original recipe I used. Looking at it now I'm not quite sure where I got it in my head that the F.G. needed to be 1.024?? But for whatever reason, (perhaps senility), I had 1.024 in my head when I went to take my final reading.
0brx2c4.jpg

Either way, it sounds like I should be thankful it didn't end up at 1.024

Back