F.G Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tizzomes

Reaction score
Hey so 2 weeks ago I brewed an ipa with an a o.g of 1.070. I made a yeast starter that sat for two days on a stir plate. Today I thought to rack onto my secondary and dry hop for another week or so. I took a reading and my gravity was at 1.016. I never brewed a beer in the 70's before and was wondering if that was normal?? Should I have waiting another week? Sounds like a newbie question I know! ha

Hey so 2 weeks ago I brewed an ipa with an a o.g of 1.070. I made a yeast starter that sat for two days on a stir plate. Today I thought to rack onto my secondary and dry hop for another week or so. I took a reading and my gravity was at 1.016. I never brewed a beer in the 70's before and was wondering if that was normal?? Should I have waiting another week? Sounds like a newbie question I know! ha

Yes, that sounds normal. Mine are usually more like 1.010-1.012, but I tend to mash cool (151ish) for an IPA and use some corn sugar to help get a lower FG and a drier beer in the end.

Might be expected. What was your yeast and mash temp?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Sounds close to right--perhaps a bit high depending on how much crystal malt you used. I mash my double IPA at 151 and end at about 1.008-1.010 BUT I also use about 8% sugar in the batch and only 1lb of crystal malts.

Thanks for the reassurance guys. Between work and two young kids feel like I've been getting a little sloppy when I'm brewing. Glad to know I'm not way off.
Thanks again

Latest posts

Back