F’d the transfer on a delicious NEIPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SanPancho

Reaction score
apparently i did not in fact use a shortened dip tube like i thought i had done when i fermented this baby in a corny. So i wound up gettin a ton of hop debris in serving keg. Damn thing is plugged up. I unscrewed the out post and cleaned it. Lifted dip tube and unclogged it. Still plugs up.

Smells amazing. Must salvage. Dont want to oxidize.

Ideas? Thought of maybe swirling it up real good and then resting it at an angle with a wedge underneath the dip tube side, hoping the sludge will sink to other side of keg.

Thats all i could come up with without adding more oxidation.

I'm fairly new in my kegging days so not sure if this would work, but what about shortening up the dip tube now.

- Remove both QD from posts
- set CO2 up to have minimal pressure going in when you reconnect gas in a minute
- Vent the keg
- Remove out post
- Remove diptube (quickly)
- Reconnect gas QD with 2-3 psi going in. Because liquid diptube is removed, CO2 will be allowed to escape from the out hole, preventing oxygen from getting in
- Cut dip tube. Clean thoroughly
- Remove gas QD
- Install diptube and out post
- Reconnect gas QD and purge keg
- Set up as normal, let settle 24hrs and enjoy.

Or is there a major flaw in my thought process?

Works in theory. Keeping positive pressure should keep o2 out. But cutting dip tube not a quick affair. If i had a spare that would work for a quick swap, Indiana jones style. Cant get to lhbs until probably Friday tho.

I like the idea of tipping the keg. To clear the tube, I would hook up the co2 to the beverage out side and see if you could blow it clear. If it’s a ball lock keg, don’t put the gas connection on the beverage post or you’ll have a helluva time getting it off. You also might pull that dip tube and shorten it more. Buy a replacement and save that one for these situations. Good luck.

Works in theory. Keeping positive pressure should keep o2 out. But cutting dip tube not a quick affair. If i had a spare that would work for a quick swap, Indiana jones style. Cant get to lhbs until probably Friday tho.

I've never cut one, so I'm asking. Wouldn't a Dremel with a reinforced cutting wheel do it fairly quick?

instead of cutting it, bend it.
I’ve bent one for fermenting in a keg and without too much trouble, got it to leave 2 qts behind.
You could then transfer to another keg and strain what’s left. Put that in a bottle with sugar to get rid of O2?

torpedo kegs. the bottom is convex, not concave. bending wont work.

cutting with dremel is how i do it now, pipe cutter is bs. but it still takes a while to cut, grind, polish and then give it a wash and sanitize.

thats what i was planning on doing if i didnt get a better answer. you never know, theres some clever SOBs on hombrewtalk

bend it more. bend it sideways. bend it early. i don't want to hear about 'bending won't work!!!'

sober edit: @SanPancho apologies for the ramblings above. Seriously, you can bend it past the hump without hurting the tube. Best part is, you can bend it back later.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back