Extremely long batch sparge due to E.R visit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoppyHills

Reaction score
Title kinda explains it..
Basically, I had started my very first all grain batch, everything was going smooth.. I mashed for 60 mins at a temp of 156, then drained into kettle, added my sparge water all at once for a batch sparge.. then got a call from my SO saying I needed to bring her to the E.R.. long hospital visit, so now my grains have been sitting in the sparge water for about 20 hours.. LMFAO.

Anyways.. I'm still going to brew it. But does anybody know any adverse effects this might have on my batch?

You might have gotten some souring in the kettle and in the grains. Does it smell funny?

Oh, and I take it the SO is okay?

I would Drain and test for off flavors.
if nothing real bad comes out, add to first runnings and rseume from there.
If in doubt, Boil first runnings and adjust hops for a stronger brew.
Or boil with added water for lighter brew and recover ome of lost volume.
You may adjust adding malt extract.
Hope this helps

You might have gotten some souring in the kettle and in the grains. Does it smell funny?

Oh, and I take it the SO is okay?

It didn't seem to smell funny.. though I have nothing to compare it with seeing as it's my first AG batch. I'll boil it and see how it goes

It does have a layer floating on top which appears to be coagulated proteins or something of that matter. Hopefully not an infection.

As for my SO.. :) she's doing much better now and is resting in bed getting much needed sleep.. it was some sort of stomach bug that the ER staff couldn't pinpoint.. I'm just happy she's resting now. Thanks for asking :) cheers

It didn't seem to smell funny.. though I have nothing to compare it with seeing as it's my first AG batch. I'll boil it and see how it goes

It does have a layer floating on top which appears to be coagulated proteins or something of that matter. Hopefully not an infection.

As for my SO.. :) she's doing much better now and is resting in bed getting much needed sleep.. it was some sort of stomach bug that the ER staff couldn't pinpoint.. I'm just happy she's resting now. Thanks for asking :) cheers

The boil will kill off any possible infection. Any kettle souring would be from lactic acid created by a lactobacillus "infection" in the mash. Raw grain is full of lactobacillus. It's a normal condition. People do kettle souring on purpose. Gives a tarter, more acidic beer. Many folks really like sours, but it tends to be an acquired taste. I agree with your plan to just boil it, and see what you get.

Glad it was nothing serious with SO.

Brew on :mug:

It's going to be fine. Brew up in her honor and toast to her returned health when it's done.

Brew it, had the same thing happen. An IMP Stout, loss of body, dry finish, and scored 39! Mine was about 10hrs

Figured I wasn't the only one :p

I'm actually excited, pitched yeast 2 hours ago, Omega West coast ale 2, harvested from an Irish red ale.. pitched into a 1.050 Citra American IPA. Hoping to see some action soon, had it going in a starter for 24 hours on a stir plate.

Can't wait to taste the results :)

Update:
Been 3 hours since pitching, already seeing bubbles in my blow off setup. I've never had a batch show signs of life 3 hours after pitching.. this oughta be good

Back