Extract Simcoe ipa

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fab80

Reaction score
Recipe Type
Extract
Yeast
us 05
Yeast Starter
nope
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
nada
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 days, 62 to 72
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
no
Tasting Notes
Just opened a bottle after 9 days conditioning. Wow. Bitterness, aroma, flavor, smell
Hi guys, first recipe here for extract brewers out there. This is a very simple ipa recipe which can be ready in like 3 weeks from brewing day. It is incredibly delicious, though.

Here we go:

Steep for 30 mins in a 149F gallon of water at very low flame (149F->154F in 30 min):
4oz caramel 20
2oz caramel 40
6oz carapils (will skip this next time since DME has plenty in it already)
1oz columbus pellets AA 15.8% (in a separate bag, it's a FWH)

Remove grain bag, leave the hop bag, add to the main kettle (i boil 4.5 gallon wort in a 5 gallon kettle using fermcap, and then I add more bottle water to get 5 gallons, if you can do full boil will be better). Bring to a boil. When it starts boiling, turn off heat and add:

2lb Light DME

return to a boil, boil 60 mins adding:

1oz Simcoe pellets (5 mins)
1oz Simcoe pellets (0 mins)
4lb Light DME (0 mins)

At this point (flame out) i start stirring the wort for 20 mins or so until the DME is completely dissolved (add 1lb at the time to make it easier :))

Then chill as fast as possible, oxygenate like crazy and add:

1 11.5g package of US-05 f dry yeast. Sprinkle on top. Ferment at not higher than 66 for the first 3 days (I do 63-64). Keep the temperature stable. when it's slowing down fermenting (day 4 or 5) you can rise the temperature to 72 or so.

Fermentation should be done in a week, so at day 7 you add:

2 oz Simcoe pellets (dry hop) to primary.

Leave in the primary 1 more week then bottle. No secondary. And drink it fresh!

Also, some tasting notes, since the ones I posted first were cut out and there is no way to edit them.
This is a simple but quite amazing brew. Smell is like being in a fresh wet pine forest, lot of resin too. My wife and friends pick up grapefruit and citrusy elements as well. For me they are very subtle. Taste follows the smell, I am so glad I used Columbus for bittering because it gives you a solid neutral yet earthy bitterness which for me is the perfect "serving plate" to let simcoe hops shine. Appearance is not the best part as you can see. But who cares, it's delicious!!!

IMAG1282-1.jpg

Back