Extract Saison recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WildOnions

Reaction score
How does this look? Wanted to do a saison with a little different hop bill

Briess Pilsen Extra Light Liquid Extract
6 lbs, 0 oz
Table Sugar
1lb, 0z
Briess 2 Row Caramel 40 (steeping)
0 lbs, 8 oz
Northern Brewer Pellets
1 oz @ 60 mins
Cascade Pellets
1 oz @ 5 mins
Brewer's Garden Sweet Orange Peel
1 oz @ 5 mins
Wyeast Labs Belgian Saison 3724

Looks pretty good. I might cut the sugar in half and use a different yeast though. Saison yeasts will eat up more sugars than other yeasts. 3724 is a real bear. You have to raise the temp at the end or it will stall. I prefer WLP566.

I like it but might ditch the caramel 40 for like a Belgian biscuit or Vienna. Caramel malts aren't common in saisons as they are suppose to be bone dry not sweet but .5 lb won't really do that much.
With 3724 ferment that bad boy hot. 85deg or more.

Looks pretty good to me! I'll second ditching the caramel, but I don't know if you can just replace it with biscuit, that would require a partial mash and all that. Maybe replace it with a bit of wheat dme. Or nothing! You'll get plenty of character from the yeast and hops.

temp is no problem, I'm in Georgia, so getting it up to 80 is absolutely no problem whatsoever. Good call on the vienna or biscuit, that's the way I'll go.

You shouldn't have a problem then. Read up on 3724 before you start though. When I used it I had it stall on me about a week in but it did eventually finish really low.

Reporting back on this recipe, tasted my first bottle yesterday. Ended up using Wyeast 3711 French Saison. Fermented starting at 72F and let it rise somewhere up to the 80-82F range.

brew day screw ups: cap to LME fell in boil, lost focus fishing it out, and added all LME at 60 (planned to add half at 60 min, and the rest at 5 minutes).

OG: 1.051. FG: 1.005. Nice and dry like I wanted, finishes with a great citrusy bitterness from the orange peel, increases the "dry" mouthfeel. I added the orange peel directly to the boil (no hop bag or anything to contain it and make it easy to remove), and a lot of ended up in the fermenter as well. Was thinking I would want to avoid that, but it really produced a nice flavor, though you might find it overpowering if you aren't a big fan of the flavor of citrus/ citrus zest. As it warms, it has a really nice clove flavor, that balances the citrus flavors, really opens up and is quite delicious. There is a spiciness you kind of pick up in the nose as you drink, not sure if its from the orange peel or the yeast, nice and in line with the style regardless. I would recommend this recipe to anyone, note that I used 3711. Its quite good, simple, & refreshing. Looking forward to tasting more.

Latest posts

Back