Extract Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheezemm

Reaction score
I have a 4 gallon brewpot that I use for almost all of my brewing. Most of my extract kits have called for steeping grains in 1-2 gallons of water and then adding another 1-1.5 gallons of water to boil. This has always left me with .5-1 gallons of headspace to add the LME/DME. I recently picked up a kit that uses 2 gallons for steeping, instructs to then add 2 more gallons bring to a boil, then mix in LME/DME. I DO NOT HAVE ENOUGH ROOM!

Is there any harm in doing the steeping in the instructed amount, but using less water for the hopping and extract/60 min boil? Pretty expensive kit that I'd rather not screw the pooch on:cross:

I have a 4 gallon brewpot that I use for almost all of my brewing. Most of my extract kits have called for steeping grains in 1-2 gallons of water and then adding another 1-1.5 gallons of water to boil. This has always left me with .5-1 gallons of headspace to add the LME/DME. I recently picked up a kit that uses 2 gallons for steeping, instructs to then add 2 more gallons bring to a boil, then mix in LME/DME. I DO NOT HAVE ENOUGH ROOM!

Is there any harm in doing the steeping in the instructed amount, but using less water for the hopping and extract/60 min boil? Pretty expensive kit that I'd rather not screw the pooch on:cross:

Sure you can do that. I'd prefer to boil with just the steeping grain liquor (after the grains are removed) and add the LME/DME at the end of the boil. That should give you a bigger boil, and keep the LME/DME from darkening and tasting "carmelly" or "extracty". Some people add half the LME/DME when it's called for in the recipe, and the other half near the end of the boil for that reason.

Ahhhh, the voice of reason to help the panic of a noob!

I didn't think about just boiling the "tea water" and adding hops and such (whirfloc). After the 60 minute boil I will have the following options:

1) Have enough headspace to add all my LME/DME to my single 4 gallon pot, then cool in the snow
2) Pour all into my primary, add LME/DME, top off to 5 gallons put outside in snow
3) Divide between a 4 gallon and a 2.5 gallon pot and add LME/DME to those and cool separately then combine in fermentor

Life is good again:rockin:

Just make sure you have enough boiling water/ wort to pasteurize your dme in case there is a pin hole in the bag.

Just make sure you have enough boiling water/ wort to pasteurize your dme in case there is a pin hole in the bag.

right! Do number 1, or even add it near the end of the boil to make sure the LME/DME is sanitized/pasteurized. Top up with water after chilling the wort.

Or you can split the boil, but that's just more equipment to clean!

Turn the heat down/off when adding it late in the boil, otherwise it can burn on the bottom of the pot. Once dissolved, start the heat again.

Back