Extract Oktoberfest

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cdunn1221

Reaction score
Hi all looking to start making an Oktoberfest for the coming fall. Looking for opinions on if I should get a kit or is there a really awesome recipe I should follow.

I also wanted to know if I need to make a yeast starter. I do not currently have what I need for a yeast starter, but I do have the equipment to control temperature to lager. Do I need to put beer into a secondary??

Any help/advice would be great. I am fairly new to brewing still and this is my first lager attempt.

It is difficult to go wrong with the Northern Brewer extract kit with Wy2633.

Yes, you really need to make a yeast starter on a lager that big. You're likely going to need a pretty high cell count, so plan your equipment purchase accordingly. You could just make one large (prob. 3-4 liter) starter with a single smack pack and stir-plate, but if you don't want such a large unwieldy vessel, there are other ways: stepped starter or multiple smack packs. You'll also probably want to look into decanting your starter and that will take extra time. But generally now is a good time to be starting to think about brewing an Oktoberfest.

And, yes, you'll wand to lager in a secondary. A 5gallon better bottle would be fine, but some would prefer a glass carboy.

It is difficult to go wrong with the Northern Brewer extract kit with Wy2633.

Yes, you really need to make a yeast starter on a lager that big. You're likely going to need a pretty high cell count, so plan your equipment purchase accordingly. You could just make one large (prob. 3-4 liter) starter with a single smack pack and stir-plate, but if you don't want such a large unwieldy vessel, there are other ways: stepped starter or multiple smack packs. You'll also probably want to look into decanting your starter and that will take extra time. But generally now is a good time to be starting to think about brewing an Oktoberfest.

And, yes, you'll wand to lager in a secondary. A 5gallon better bottle would be fine, but some would prefer a glass carboy.

Thanks!

Latest posts

Back