Extract Kolsch Recipe Help/Critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GreenwoodRover

me-no-r-no Nice Guy
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm looking to do a Kolsch-style (watch out those guys in Cologne will get you if you say Ko***h) brew this weekend. I bought a Northern Brewer Kit as the base, but I was thinking about modifing the recipe a tad. I like the Goose Island Summertime (slightly sweet) and I like the true German Kolsch from the local German Bars, so I was hoping to make a blend of the 2 styles. I read the Bee Cave Kolsch (AG, but I'm dying to move in that direction so I can do it) and Kelly's Kolsch (PM) on the recipie database.

Here's my stab at a modified extract recipe:

Partial boil - 2.5gal water
1 Lb Pilsen Light DME @ 60 min
1 lb Bavarian DME (60% wheat 40% Barley) @ 30 min
5 lbs Northern Brewer Pilsen LME at 15 min

Hop Schedule (all hops pellets)
1oz Argentina Cascade 3.2% @ 55min
1 oz Hallertau 3.9% @ 30min
1/2 oz Hallertau 3.9% @ 15min
1/2oz Hallertau 3.9% @ 5min

I'm going to make a 1L Wyeast 2565 Kolsch starter chill to and pitch at 64F.

Ferment at 64-66F 10-14 days.
Secondary at 40-50F 10 days
Bottle and refrigerate 4 weeks.

I also Have on Hand:
1/2 lb Plain Extra Light DME
1 lb Golden Light DME
1 oz Argentina Cascade 3.2%

Questions:
1) I'm concerned about it being a bit "thin" tasting, would steeping any Cara Pils help (I have a LHBS near by so getting them isn't a problem)?
2) The hop schedule is similar to the Bee Cave Kolsch recipe, but is it too hoppy for a true Kolsch, would additional hops or an edit to the schedule help?
3) I dont have a temp controlled fridge yet but I'm sure I can hit the primary and secondary temps via basement placement and ice bathing, do the temps look OK? Is a longish bottle conditioning at normal fridge temps ok, should I condition differently or longer?

I know this post is long so thanks for reading. Thanks for all your help.

Edit: edited for easier reading and to clean up mistakes made after toom many Sam Adams' last night

Back