extract challenge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tnbrewer371

Reaction score
so this was my seventh i think extract brew and my fifth recipe i formulated myself, i have since brewed it once more and it was almost spot on except i realized after i placed my order the specialty grains i ordered were not the exact same which i attribute to the difference in the two batches but both were good all the same, however i have yet to do a side by side comparison of the two batches which im planning to do very soon. but anyway this is by far the best beer i have brewed to date and have had fantastic feedback from everyone i have given any to. let me know what you think of the recipe, and would love it if someone decided to brew it and let me know what they thought of it. anyway here it is:

NorCal Ale

OG: 1.062
FG: 1.014
Primary: 8 Days
Secondary: 12 Days

3.3# Briess Munich LME (30 Min)
5.0# Muntons DME (2.5/60 Min, 2.5/30 Min)
0.5# Briess Caramel 80 (steep)
0.5# Franco Belges CaraMunich 60 (steep)
0.5# Castle Belgian Biscuit Malt (steep)

1.0 oz Chinook (11.4% AA) (1.0/60)
4.0 oz Cascade Whole Leaf Hops (5.5%AA) (2.0/15 min, 2.0/dry hopping)

I steeped the specialty grains at 165 for 30 min, additionally I also used some fermcap in the boil, and added some wyeast nutrient at the end of the boil. I used Wyeast 1056. For the Cascade Dry hopping i used a muslin bag which i did not weight down which I know now that I should have. Any other questions please ask and let me know what you think of the recipe, and please let me know if someone decides to brew it, and also let me know how it turns out. I am really really happy with it and am in the process of going all grain and its going to be my first all grain attempt as soon as I can convert it. Thanks guys rip it up.

Looks tasty. I might brew it up sometime. Why'd you name it "NorCal Ale"?

my inspiration for the beer was when the SN Anniversary Ale was taken out of rotation and I failed to find a clone recipe anywhere online, it being my favorite craft beer i wanted to try and reproduce it but have yet been able to try them side by side, who knows they may be way different beers entirely but im incredibly satisfied with this beer and will always be in my lineup. since i brewed it the first time im trying to make sure i always have it on hand as i find i crave it. let me know if you decide to do it, id be interested to see what you think about it.

Back