Exploding hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a pound of Cascade from Yakima Chief. It's been in the freezer unopened since I got it. It's also blown up like a fresh yeast smack pack. Anyone ever see something like this?
Yes very strange indeed. My best guess is that you left the bags near a sunny window or something and the heat caused the moisture particles inside of the hops to expand; very similar to a bag of popcorn but on a small scale.

The window sill theory seems unlikely in this case.
"It's been in the freezer unopened since I got it. It's also blown up like a fresh yeast smack pack"

Even if the very low level of moisture in hop pellets was driven out on a window sill in the sun the liquid would have to turn to gas " steam " to have any significant volume change.
Packets of crisps do swell a lot going from sea level to the altitude set in aircraft cabins. Set to around 4000 feet I heard. Popcorn packets would do the same.
It's the gas in the packet expanding in the heat on the hot window sill.

Last edited:
Back