ExperimentAle Pale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brentk14

Reaction score
Over the weekend I made a batch of Hop Jack Ale by Widmer. The recipe goes like this:

Widmer Hop Jack
(5 gallons, extract with grains)
OG = 1.056 FG = 1.013 IBUs = 36 to 40

Ingredients
3.3 lbs. John Bull light malt extract syrup
2 lb. Cooper’s light dry malt extract
0.5 lb. Vienna malt
1 lb. Munich malt
1.5 lb. crystal malt (40° Lovibond)
0.25 lb. dextrin malt
2.5 AAU Willamette hops (bittering)
(0.50 oz. of 4.9% alpha acid)
6.2 AAU Cascade hops (bittering)
(0.75 oz of 8.3% alpha acid)
8.3 AAU Cascade hops (flavor)
(1 oz. of 8.3% alpha acid)
4.6 AAU Centennial hops (aroma)
(0.5 oz. of 9.3% alpha acid)
4.2 AAU Cascade hops (aroma)
(0.5 oz. of 8.3% alpha acid)
1 tsp Irish moss for 60 min.
White Labs WLP001 (California Ale) yeast or Wyeast 1056 (American Ale)
O.75 cup of corn sugar for priming

After getting home I realized that instead of getting 1 Ib. of Munich I got 1 Ib. of Carmel Munich. How much is this going to effect the outcome of my brew? I realize its going to be a lot more pronounced carmel flavor but is that it? Will it still be a pale ale or is it turning into an Amber? Before I pitched the yeast it read at 1.055. Should I be worried about how strong the malt flavor is going to be?

Well at this point, you can't do anything. Yes it will make it darker and probably more malty, depending on the maltster. Yeah it is probably getting into Amber land. Actually I personally think that there is a gray area in the APA and Amber American Ale definitions where it could probably go either way. It looks like it will be falling into that gray area.

Okay my beer was bubbling away for about 12 hours pretty fast. Now its slowed down to a crawl. I have never had this happen before and this is the first time i have used liquid yeast. Should i repitch yeast or wait and hope everything is fine?

Its probably ok. I've had beers do that to me before, and they turned out fine. I would wait a few days and take a gravity reading to make sure its getting down close to your FG.

everything will be fine. Depending on the yeast and the temps at fermentation they can very often go this fast. you should leave it alone for at least a week though. Let the yeast contijnue doing it's thing and clean up some of the undesirable left over from the active fermentation. I usually leave mine in primary for 2 weeks now, even though I can't see any activity the yeast is still working.

Back