Experiment for Secondary vs Only Primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wil Prim

Beer Breath
Reaction score
Hey all, I am wanting to conduct a little experiment to see the differences between letting the beer sit in primary fermentation until bottling/kegging and racking to a second tank/vessel. I was going to attempt to do this with a 5 gallon batch but was wondering if I should do two separate 5 gallon batches or split up the 1 5 gallon batch to make sure I do the boil exactly the same.

I am open to other options!

Thanks in advance!

For the experiment to give meaningful results I'd say split the batch so the wort has been treated exactly the same up until one half is racked into secondary.

For the experiment to give meaningful results I'd say split the batch so the wort has been treated exactly the same up until one half is racked into secondary.

Okay so say I start fermentation of 5 gallons of wort in a 6 gallon carboy. I would then rack half of it to another carboy, lets say a 3 gallon one. This would leave 2.5 gallons left in the 6 gallon (3.5 gallons volume of head). Is this much head space going to affect the beer?

Latest posts

Back