Experience with fermenting a belgian single/patersbier

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brew252

Reaction score
This weekend I plan to make a belgian single/patersbier, a low abv belgian trappist style beer. My recipe is pretty simple 80% pilsner like 15% torrified wheat, 5% caravienne.

My question is about how to treat the yeast when making a lower abv beer, specifically how to get a good expression of the yeast in such a small beer. I know that temperature may be one way but I was wondering if anyone has any experience or tips in making this style of beer? Thanks:mug:

Very interested in the answer to this as well.

Also interested in more details/results of your brew. What is your mash schedule, hops, etc.

This weekend I plan to make a belgian single/patersbier, a low abv belgian trappist style beer. My recipe is pretty simple 80% pilsner like 15% torrified wheat, 5% caravienne.

My question is about how to treat the yeast when making a lower abv beer, specifically how to get a good expression of the yeast in such a small beer. I know that temperature may be one way but I was wondering if anyone has any experience or tips in making this style of beer? Thanks:mug:

What is your planned starting and finishing gravities

Hate to chime in again but if you want to make any Belgian style go to candy syrup inc website and look at the recipes you cant go wrong i believe chimay dorey is a low gravity and westmalle mite have one

Some of the best low ABV Belgian beers I've tasted have had more hop bitterness than usual to add to the flavour. Westvleteren blond and Bink blond in particular are quite bitter and taste fantastic but are sub 6% ABV.

The general rule is keep it cool right at the start and let it rise but it can go pretty hot after the first three days. Westvleteren seems to let it go the highest.

I've made quite a few small saisons and my experience is that the yeast just won't produce the same esters at a lower gravity. You can still make a nice beer but it will just be cleaner. That said, if you find a way to do it let me know!

You could look into step mashing like they do with hefes. I am limited to single infusions.

I just kegged a Patersbier 10 days ago. It really exceeded my expectations. All grain, all Belgian pilsner malt (I don't remember the hop schedule off the top of my head). Wyeast 3787. I did make a small starter. Plenty of nice Belgian yeast charcter. I fermented the 1st 5 days a 65 then let it climb to 72 for 20 days if I remember correctly (I don't have access to my notes right now). I do believe the Og was 1.048. Awesome summer beer. I'll be making it again.

To increase yeast flavor production some of the techniques include lower pitch rate, lower wort oxygen level, and higher fermentation temperature.

If you're going to ramp fermentation temperature you need to do it within 72 hours of pitching.

I've been experimenting with lower pitch and 02 rates. I just pitched 2 saisons at about .5-.6 million cells/mL, and 30 secs 02 rather than my usual 2 minutes.

Back