Ever have a credit card number stolen???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's the "check" charge the thief makes to make sure the card is valid. He'll then sell it to some smuck for a few bucks with proof that it worked.

Same thing happened to me. Somehow Bank of America knew this was the case and immediately shutdown my card.

I just found a pending charge on my account that says the following and I don't recognize it at all:
MDR Sylvester 01 for $2.90

Anyone seen anything similar? What kind of charge was that initial small amount?

Thats a test charge to see if the card is good.Mine had 3 1 dollar charges on it then a couple from e-bay and amazon for 15 - 25 dollars then one big one for 559 dollars from some golf shop.
contact your bank asap and cancle that card.

I never got any 'test charges' that I know of... I went and looked back over the last 90 days and the only small dollar or two charges were all legit (music downloads from amazon)..

I recognized every transaction... When they hit me, there was no warning shot across the bow...

I think the idea is that you USE HBT, not that you gave money directly to it. If HBT is somehow allowing malware to be installed on peoples computers, it wouldn't matter if you paid paypal directly.

Regardless, it still seems AHS is the more likely culprit.

I don't think I have malware on my computer. I have tight security on my computer, I'm cautious about the sites I visit, and so far there are no fraudulent charges on any other credit cards, or my bank account, or my PayPal account.

Mine was stolen too! :( Luckily Chase contacted me after a few small charges were posted that did not look like me. I only use that card for online purchases and the only two charges I had done in the last 45 days had been to AHS. My last order was around Jan 19th.

I don't blame AHS directly but it seems pretty clear to me that is where the problem occured. Hopefully they get this straightened out.

I don't think I have malware on my computer. I have tight security on my computer, I'm cautious about the sites I visit, and so far there are no fraudulent charges on any other credit cards, or my bank account, or my PayPal account.

I'm pretty confident that my laptop is safe, too. It is issued to me by my employer and has a buttload of security software on it. My employer has hundreds of millions of dollars at stake if my laptop is compromised, and they don't f*ck around with anything.

Thanks to all of the supporters. I have been working hard on this issue since Sunday at 5pm. I have meetings all day today to work on finding out what happened and how to fix it.

Rest assured we are doing everything we can to assure that the website is safe.

We have been addressing the issue and please don't assume I am doing nothing. My time is focused on fixing the problem and I won't be able to come on this forum on the half hour like I usually do.

Sorry for any problems this attack on all of us has caused. I am sure your bank and credit card companies are taking care of you. Check your statements and call them right away if they havent called you.

Thanks again for your support.

Forrest
Austin Homebrew Supply

Are you still accepting credit card payments?

Bank told me that MDR Sylvester is a motorcycle shop in Sylvester TX. We definitely didn't order anything from them nor have even been around that part of town EVER, i can't even find them on a map.
I have never ever had my card stolen before. Bank has a new card on the way and i can get a temp from the branch if I need to.

I order a shipment from AHS mid January also, the only other online transactions I do are with Amazon.com.

My bank just last week canceled my CC and had to send me a new one saying the system was compromised. I don't think this has anything to do with AHS specifically, rather, whatever system or company they use.

OK, so I had someone use my card on 02/08 to buy $1000 headlights for their car. Nice. I too had ordered from Austin and Keg Connection. The above is pretty much what my bank and the local PD have told me. Most sites use a third party for CC processing. This third party, due to Visa's PCI, is required to notify Visa when a system containing Visa records has been compromised (or have failed a PCI security check by another company like SecurityMetrics). Visa then notifies the banks. My bank canceled my card on 02/01, but sadly, allowed it to be active until my replacement card arrived.

Long story short, it isn't a particular vendor, but the third party CC clearing house they use.

Also, an interesting note: According to the PD investigator, these generally are stolen in batches and resold in smaller blocks. Crook A steals 10000 card numbers then sells a 1000 to Crook B. B resells a few numbers to Crook C for $50 or whatever, with Crook C banking on getting more than $50 out of the number he or she bought. Sadly, it almost always only Crook C that gets caught.

On the bright side: I've learned more about credit card fraud on the Internet in the last day then I've ever read/heard about in 10+ years ordering on-line.

Does AHS even know about this? There are over 1500 views to the thread already and, if they don't know yet, they likely will feel it in the next couple of weeks as online orders start to lower... HBT can have a huge impact. Hopefully someone from them will come here and calm people down with some resolution... because they do have a good selection.

Mine was stolen too! :( Luckily Chase contacted me after a few small charges were posted that did not look like me. I only use that card for online purchases and the only two charges I had done in the last 45 days had been to AHS. My last order was around Jan 19th.

I don't blame AHS directly but it seems pretty clear to me that is where the problem occured. Hopefully they get this straightened out.

This post from one of the other threads kind of puts it squarely in AHS's court. (i bolded the part that makes me think that...)

Again, I hold nothing against AHS, I love their prices, just want to make sure that anyone who used a CC to purchase from them in Jan/Feb keeps an eye on their account...

Does AHS even know about this? There are over 1500 views to the thread already and, if they don't know yet, they likely will feel it in the next couple of weeks as online orders start to lower... HBT can have a huge impact. Hopefully someone from them will come here and calm people down with some resolution... because they do have a good selection.

YES, they know. I have tried to direct the crowd on this thread to the FIRST thread that was stared monday. Look back at my previous posts to see the link to the other thread, where Forrest has posted comments directly.

edit: High Jass provided the link right above.

just for the inconvenience of the crap going on forest, after things get straightened out, ill order some stuff from you!

yay, the bank called me about my complaint last night, they are going to issue me "temporary" money to replace my 500 dollars gone.. and i have to fill out some paperwork once it is mailed to me... (then i can get my "real" money back)

Wow, thank goodness I read this thread, I was literally going to place an order with AHS this afternoon...

So, not sure by his post, but did AHS say the problem was from their site / CC processor?

-Craig

They did not directly say it was from their site, but by the number of reports, it appears that they have acknowledged that there is likely a breach somewhere.

There are many pieces to the CC processing puzzle and it appears they are still working up & down the chain to pinpoint where this has happened.

Quite often, large scale CC thefts are done by organized crime groups that are VERY sophisticated. It will take AHS a bit of time for them to get to the bottom of it.

The best thing is that AHS is now here giving updates as to what they are doing to get to the bottom of it.

just for the inconvenience of the crap going on forest, after things get straightened out, ill order some stuff from you!

I was just thinking the exact same thing.... 'After' the problem has been isolated and resolved...

Got my eye on that cheese making kit..
:mug:

Mine was hacked too and my last orders in the last 45 days were both from AHS. My card was blocked by the credit card company so I am glad they were ontop of it. I will wait for the breach to be fixed but I will order from AHS again.

My charge came from a supposed Motorcycle shop in Sylvester TX. Odd that its in Texas, i would have expected international or ebay charges.

Since there are several duplicate threads going now about this I will post my information here also.

I placed two online credit-card orders with AHS on 1/20 and 1/21.

I was notified by my credit card provider of fraudulent charges that started on 2/7.

I purchased from AHS on Monday (02/07) early afternoon in store and have not seen any fraudulent charges on my CC as of yet. Has anyone else purchased in store during this time frame? If we can get a feel for whether or not this is isolated to online only then we can try to help narrow it down to the website or the CC processor. I suppose it could also be the employee who is running the CC manually too. Anyway thought I might chime in and maybe this information could be of some help.

Just an FYI, it's more likely that the CC fraud depts of the companies have figured out the problem and the source than any sleuthing here. It's not a bad idea to check your statements. It's probably a bad idea to assign any blame.

The fraud detection process is pretty efficient.

My bank canceled my debit card this morning, and refunded the money while it's investigated (still not sure how a credit card would have handled that "better"?). That's part of why I like the small, local bank. They know my face, and value my business. From the looks of things, there's really not much question on the fraudulent nature of my specific charge.

It has taught me to switch to using PayPal whenever possible....

just got a call this am...ordered from AHS and LHBS last week. glad CC company caught it, new card on the way.

Most times this is traced back to the credit card processors being hacked and not the fault of an individual businesses. Please be careful to not pass judgment before knowing all the facts.

I purchased from AHS on 1/30, SWMBO's Mary Kay on 2/1 and 2/2, and Midwest on 2/4. Those were the only online transactions sense 12/8.

I got 4 fraud charges on 2/7 like many others to a CCbilleu

The bank took care of everything and now I"m just waiting on a new card, running out of cash. But this will not sway me away from AHS they really have the best stuff and I have more than enough supplies to make it a few months. Hopefully everything will be cleared up by the time I have to order again

I just purchased my perlicks and shanks from AHS yesterday. I will keep my eye on my CC to see if any bad charges show up.

But this will not sway me away from AHS they really have the best stuff

I'm kinda new here and after seeing how many of you use AHS, I'm likely to start using them also. They must be doing this community right. If it is indeed an issue with their sites security, it will likely be stronger after this event.

Just popping in to add my # was stolen this last weekend as well, and the only online purchase I had made was through AHS. I am forwarding an email to Forrest to add to his list. No real harm done other than me having to get a new card. All charges were stopped before they were completed.

I just wanted to state that my purchase was on 12/27 and so far no fraudulent charges. It seems that whatever happened might have happened AFTER this date.

I just wanted to state that my purchase was on 12/27 and so far no fraudulent charges. It seems that whatever happened might have happened AFTER this date.

Yeah my last purchase with AHS was mid December and i have had no issues so it would seem it started in 2011.

olllllo

Can you merge this thread (and the one titles "Bastiges") with the main thread that Forrest has been responding in?

Most times this is traced back to the credit card processors being hacked and not the fault of an individual businesses. Please be careful to not pass judgment before knowing all the facts.

Not saying its AHS's fault, but there have been enough people in this thread who have been defrauded and have ordered from AHS lately to make me not want to order from them for now. Seems like a pretty big coincidence...

Better safe than sorry IMO.

Our MC was hacked on Monday of this week (2/7). Two fraudulent charges, to whom I forget, though both charges were in England according to our CC company.

I too ordered from AHS in mid January.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back