Evaluate this pic please......

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tuskenraider

Reaction score
So my first starter on a homemade stir plate. This is a pack of Wyeast 1968 London ESB dated 10/30/11. Been about 16 hours on it at this point and looks like this. About a 1/3rd cup of DME in 750ml of wort, pitched at 70 or so. If I pull the plug, it drops like a rock. Any thoughts if this is healthy/normal as I'm about to start a batch of brown ale?

yeast.jpg

1968 looks like that all the time. It is fine.

First time I saw it I thought the same thing as you did.

Yea, 1968 is super flocculant. Have you ever poured some out of a smack pack? Looks like cottage cheese. I was weirded out the first time, too.

Yeah, I did notice it came out of the pack a bit funky, but that went away once shaken. Anyway, thanks. Time to brew!

Egg drop soup? Check. It must be a British yeast. I use WLP002 a lot, which I think is pretty much the same strain. Mine looks like this every time

I had the same reaction to the first 007 starter, and it turned out fine. That's how a lot of English strains look.

Wow. I've never used 1968 so I would have raised a similar question myself. That doesn't look like any starter I've had before, but then again, I've never used 1968. That's some weird looking yeast!

Most people wouldnt drink beer if they actually saw the fementation taking place, to the novice it looks pretty nasty, to most of us, its beautiful.

Back