EVA Barrier over barbs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fetidpants

Reaction score
After much deliberation and reading up on these threads, I've decided to build my keezer with the superb sounding EVA barrier. Problem is my gas side: I haven't found any info on swaging it onto 3/8" barbs. My gas manifold has 3/8" barbed shutoff valves (calipers show ~10 mm) and would rather not replace them.

I've stretched EVA 4mm ID over a 5/16" barb. That's as big as I'd want to go. If you wanted to try that, warm the end with a heat gun, insert something tapered with a light coating of keg lube or similar on the tapered tool. Let it cool a second, the push the barb in. Clamp with an oetiker clamp.

So clearly 4mm liquid line won't work for the 3/8" gas barbs..

I was initially thinking 5mm might work, but then I did some math. 1/16" = 1.58 mm, so if 4mm barely makes a 5/16" barb, 5mm over 6/16" (i.e. 3/8") would have even less clearance (additional 1 mm ID for the tubing, but going over additional 1.58 mm OD for the barb). Should I just go a size up for my gas lines to 6.5mm x 9.5mm EVA tubing? I understand this means I would need a different set of EVA fittings (9.5mm fittings vs 8mm fittings for 4/5mm ID tubing), which is why I'm hesitating.

In short, can anyone (cough @Bobby_M) comment on 5mm over 3/8" barbs or should I use 6.5mm ID EVA? Any other advice?
Thanks!

The 4mm and 5mm ID both have the same OD, so the 5mm is thinner walled and seems to me a bit more flexible.

Latest posts

Back