European Ale yeast left in car overnight, still good or bad?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerbud

Reaction score
Temperatures fell to 15f outside, but was in my car that was in my garage. Is the yeast dead or not? Thanks!

Has anyone experienced yeast dying from temperature changes ?
I'm sure it messes up the viability of the yeast. But are there many stories about yeast becoming unusable after being left at an dangerous temperature for a short amount of time ?

I had some WLP648 Brett. and WLP566 in the checked in luggage on a three hour plain trip, and left it at my girlfriends place for three days in room at mid 70's temperatures. (she forgot to put it in the fridge)
Both of the yeasts worked perfect when I used them a couple of weeks later. (fair enough for two 2.5 gal. batches)

I guess leaving the yeast at temperatures outside it's optimal dormant range. is bad for the viability, But you have to leave it for a very long time or at a very high or low temperature, to make it useless.
And in worst case, you can always try and make an healthy starter.
Otherwise you could just leave your fermentors outside in the sun for a couple of days to sanitize them and save some star-san

I keep all my yeasts in the vegetable/meat drawer on the "vegetable" setting. Ive accidently turned it all the way to "meat" a couple times and froze my cultures solid. Apart from a few domed lids on the mason jar ones, they were fine. Took off in starters like normal after I thawed them

I guess leaving the yeast at temperatures outside it's optimal dormant range. is bad for the viability,

Yes

But you have to leave it for a very long time or at a very high or low temperature, to make it useless.

Yes

And in worst case, you can always try and make an healthy starter.

Yes

Otherwise you could just leave your fermentors outside in the sun for a couple of days to sanitize them and save some star-san

No.

Just kidding, I see what you're saying, but still no

Latest posts

Back