Etiquette

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lukeziegler

Reaction score
Alright. So I am at the in law's house. And I've had a few. (A required social lubrication) Naturally after a while I have to take a leak. The bathroom is, naturally, located directly off the living room. So here's the question, is it socially acceptable to be heard taking a LOUD LONG pee?? We're all human yeah? Do I really need to try and pee on the very edge of the bowl as an effort to mute this bodily function? I say no. Let's stop this.

I go for the edge of the water's surface. I'm overly conscientious though. So my impulse is to say make it as loud and as long as possible haha

But then again what if the ol man has prostate problems and gets jealous of your gloriously youthful fountain of healthy flow? Should it matter? Probably not as these are the type of emotions that no one should allow their self to be enslaved by.

Now you have to ask yourself the question that because you are asking these questions what is your motive for a full on loud stream? To rid yourself of being concerned or to set a standard and thus imposing your sophistication on others?

No one hears it when I per on the hedges.

Happy Thanks giving... Its almost Turkey time for me.

Blarneybrew said:
Now you have to ask yourself the question that because you are asking these questions what is your motive for a full on loud stream? To rid yourself of being concerned or to set a standard and thus imposing your sophistication on others?
The concern is there, wether I would like it to be or not. The questioning comes from a deeper, philosophical standpoint. Why is there such stigma around a natural function?

Yeah I say piss off of the front porch. Save the bathroom next to the living room for that special trip after the meal...

Yeah I say piss off of the front porch. Save the bathroom next to the living room for that special trip after the meal...

I learned a valuable lesson pissing off the front porch.

I used to date a woman that lived a pretty good ways out, and late at night I liked to go outside and piss off the front porch in my birthday suit. She started complaining a lot saying "At least go in a different spot every time your killing the grass.", so I did and she still bitched. Eventually I'd had enough so I tried standing on the grass and pissin on the porch, that's how I learned no matter what you do you can't satisfy a woman!

Im not ashamed to admit that in these situations I do sit to pee. I have a loo right off the kitchen and if people are gathered in there I will sit to muffle the sounds.

If you were a guest in my house, I would say take as long as a piss as you need, be as loud as you want, but keep the wet, burping, back-scattering, fermenting sounds from the bunghole to yourself. lol

Im not ashamed to admit that in these situations I do sit to pee. I have a loo right off the kitchen and if people are gathered in there I will sit to muffle the sounds.

:eek: Hate to find out what you have to do when you gotta take a knarly shat.:cross: I think I would just make it more awkward and keep flushing the toilet. Or you could make it really funny and hook up a short hose from the sink to the toilet and run it and when your done keep running it and walk 0ut and go- What?

jonmohno said:
:eek: Hate to find out what you have to do when you gotta take a knarly shat.:cross: I think I would just make it more awkward and keep flushing the toilet. Or you could make it really funny and hook up a short hose from the sink to the toilet and run it and when your done keep running it and walk 0ut and go- What?
Love the ingenuity. Everyone should have such a device.

I expect your man card in my mail box asap so that I may shred it properly.

I leave the door open & stand on the counter so everyone can hear it a little better. I do the same for dropping a deuce, but then I invite everyone in to guess what I ate earlier. but I did learn that the hosts really don't like it when you rip down yer drawls & crack off a big air biscuit in the lemon meringue pie. that is poor etiquette.

Billy-Klubb said:
I leave the door open & stand on the counter so everyone can hear it a little better. I do the same for dropping a deuce, but then I invite everyone in to guess what I ate earlier. but I did learn that the hosts really don't like it when you rip down yer drawls & crack off a big air biscuit in the lemon meringue pie. that is poor etiquette.
plus one on that one, or you can do what my wife does, do a courtesy flush while peeing or dropping a deuce , before, during and after!!!

benco said:
plus one on that one, or you can do what my wife does, do a courtesy flush while peeing or dropping a deuce , before, during and after!!!

To me, a courtesy flush is a second flush to ensure there are no floaties sticking around. What you described may work for women, but real men call that a "ball washer!"

To me, a courtesy flush is a second flush to ensure there are no floaties sticking around. What you described may work for women, but real men call that a "ball washer!"

what is this "flush" you speak of?

Billy-Klubb said:
And to think.... I've been doing this wrong all these years.

Sadly our toilet at our last apartment had a slight crack in the front. One or both(haven't figured it out yet) of my kids have a habit of not flushing when done. They are 6 and 3 respectively so a big deal but not really. Well I usually had to flush before doing anything anyways and once or twice after one too many brews sat down too early to get a good cold spritz on the testicles. Talk about a sobering moment.....

This would upset me, as it's wasting water.

Nah, a courtesy flush is when you use a second flush to clear out the lingering rank smell from a Mother Of All Deuces. You do it whether there's a stubborn floaty or not, because nothing's worse than walking into a bathroom after somebody else and thinking that a skunk had been violently executed in your bathroom.

Mindsculptor said:
This would upset me, as it's wasting water. Nah, a courtesy flush is when you use a second flush to clear out the lingering rank smell from a Mother Of All Deuces. You do it whether there's a stubborn floaty or not, because nothing's worse than walking into a bathroom after somebody else and thinking that a skunk had been violently executed in your bathroom.

Apparently, I can't speak for all men. However, based on my limited experience with automatic flush toilets, if the toilet flushes while I'm seated my jewels get tossed around in a whirlpool! I couldn't give a rats a$$ about the next poor bastard!

Apparently, I can't speak for all men. However, based on my limited experience with automatic flush toilets, if the toilet flushes while I'm seated my jewels get tossed around in a whirlpool! I couldn't give a rats a$$ about the next poor bastard!

The rules for public toilets are different, I think. I was speaking more towards the toilets in homes and apartments.

Mindsculptor said:
The rules for public toilets are different, I think. I was speaking more towards the toilets in homes and apartments.
The rules may be different but the anatomical challenges remain unchanged. I guess this isn't a problem for all men... You know what they say, it doesn't matter anyway! ;{>

A women's point of view- Put the seat back down and don't dribble on the seat because when I sit down I do not want to be sitting in your pee, and you can pee as long and as loud as you want. :D

Some are into that sort of thing... not me but some...

I went to the depot and bought the loudest fan they sell so my guests aren't ever faced with this perplexing quandary. The problem now is that it frightens people and they think its broken or something so do not turn it on.

This would upset me, as it's wasting water.

Nah, a courtesy flush is when you use a second flush to clear out the lingering rank smell from a Mother Of All Deuces. You do it whether there's a stubborn floaty or not, because nothing's worse than walking into a bathroom after somebody else and thinking that a skunk had been violently executed in your bathroom.

The problem is when that stick has migrated from the bowl and has become the air in the whole room. Or worst case, the fumes are leaking from under the door and creating a zone of death nearby.
Matches and candles can sometimes get rid of or cover the stench, but all the flushes in the universe can not get rid of the stench.

I went to the depot and bought the loudest fan they sell so my guests aren't ever faced with this perplexing quandary. The problem now is that it frightens people and they think its broken or something so do not turn it on.

hell, when we have guests I just go in there with them. takes their mind right off us not having a fan in the downstairs bathroom.

Billy-Klubb said:
no, that's just awkward. but I do applaud them when they're done! if they have a rough start, I encourage them & cheer them on.:rockin:

Can I come over? I got a nice one brewing!

Back