Erlenmeyer Flask Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vtirish

Reaction score
I have a friend who is a scientist. This friend works in a laboratory, and, for Christmas, this friend got me a pair of 1000 mL Erlenmeyer flasks after overhearing that I wanted one to start creating yeast starters (I'm new). So, this friend gave me a couple, and I started researching the pair the friend gave me. They are made by a company called VWR, and they come with this "DuoCAP," um, cap, which has a filter in it to keep the inside of the flask sterile. They can be autoclaved and apparently also can be bleached relentlessly, so I don't think I'll have to worry too hard about sterilizing these before or after use.

However, I do have one question. They are made of "virgin polycarbonate resin." I'm not a scientist, so I pose the question to you. If I make a started in one of these things, will I open myself to the possibility of off flavors or other, unknown hazards.

Many thanks.

I am a scientist.

Anything that is meant for laboratory is meant to not add anything to the contents (as said in the post above). If it came from a laboratory supply company then it should be fine for a yeast starter. It may be meant to keep sterile, but I would still go through the standard sterilization routine; it is easy and quick, and it is good to know you don't have to worry about adding anything to the brew from the get-go.

VWR is great. They're Fisher Scientific's biggest competition and most of the products they stock are the same or very similar... good stuff.

4697888.jpg

https://www.vwrsp.com/catalog/product/index.cgi?catalog_number=30180-036

If it has a 0.22 micrometer filter in the cap you can just use that instead of putting foil over the top. It'll allow air to exchange but particles and microbes can't fit.

Pretty cool. These flasks are designed for culturing which is exactly what you'll be doing. There's no way they'll leech flavors or anything like that, if they're not completely inert they wouldn't be sold in the first place for scientific purposes.

I'd definitely sterilize them before each use and clean them after... sure nothing can get through the filter but you have to take the filter off to pour stuff in and out of the flask. Plus, you have to clean out the residue after you're done with your starter.

Latest posts

Back