Equipment Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hyster

Reaction score
Hey all! Long time reader and first time poster with a question for you.

I'll start with the backstory first. I recently purchased a keezer, regulator, 5 lb CO2 cylinder and I have no idea how well it has been taken care of. My plan is to at least replace the beer line and taps (those Perlick 525 SS look mighty sweet), but I am wondering if I should replace the shanks, ball lock disconnects, and barbed swivel nuts as well.

I can do my best to clean and sanitize but I am not sure if I can get into all the small areas that the beer flows through (especially through the shanks). Do you all have any thoughts if it is worthwhile for me to clean all the pieces or should I go ahead and order new parts.

I am planning on replacing the one body regulator with a two body. Should I look at replacing the gas tubing as well? As far as I can tell on the gas side, everything looks fine. It all (tubing and connections) looks used, but there is nothing there that make me suspicious when I look at it. Should I purchase gas line as well, or do you think I'll be safe in using the tubing that is there? Replacing the beer line isn't even a question, but I don't know if I am being extra paranoid now in looking at the gas line...

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated! :mug:

It's a cheap replacement part. Well worth the peace of mind you will have knowing it's new and u put it on. That being said it's probly fine but I'd still go for it.

I see no point in replacing anything other than tubing (beer and gas - you never know how many over-filled kegs were plugged into that kegerator and burped beer up the gas lines), and maybe faucet seals. Otherwise, once the tubing is replaced, a thorough cleaning with BLC would suffice for me - and I'm totally manic when it comes to sanitation regimens...

Cheers!

Disassemble all QD's clean and sanitize replace all beer and gas lines, get a brush to clean the shanks. I have an assortment of small bottle brushes for this, never can be to clean and pays to be though.

I'll add replacement gas line to my purchases and clean the parts as well. If I don't feel great about my cleaning job I'll go ahead and get the new parts.

I appreciate all your thoughts!

Back