Enzymes and Gravity Readings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HereFerbeer

Reaction score
Okay so in this thought experiment we create two worts, with identical recipes:

The first wort you mash with a lower temperature, say 140, for the whole mash. So in theory you would have a highly fermentable, thin wort.

The second wort you mash with a higher temperature, say 160, for the whole mash. So in theory you have a thicker wort with less fermentables and more non-fermentables.

My main question is, would these two different worts have different SGs? Or would they both have the same SG, or OG, but then the first one would have a lower FG, as more sugars fermented out while the second would have a higher FG as more non-fermentables were left behind?

I know there is some overlap with enzymes, and I'm not sure how practical this question is, but I'm just more trying to understand how the enzymes affect the beer and this had me thinking. Thanks in advance for any wisdom.

i think it would be a great test

mash 1 beer in the 140s
mash the same recipe in the high 150s, 160

add AE to the 160F batch to get to the same FG and compare the two

Well, as a general rule, natural chemical reactions work faster as temp increases, and this holds true for mashes. When mashing high conversion will happen much faster. So technically speaking you will probably have a lower SG at a really low mashing temp if you don't compensate and mash longer.

Back