Entering a homebrew comp - Am I too late?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gooser

Reaction score
I was just told about a homebrew competition in my area but entries are due August 13th and today is July 15th.

I was looking to do something similar to a Bell's Two Hearted Ale since I'm trying to work with ingredients on hand. I just picked up equipment for kegging today (just need my CO2 tank filled) and was hoping with force carbing I might make it in time. I've only ever bottle conditioned up to this point so I'm not sure on timing using kegs.

Does anyone think I have time, or any other suggestions for something I could have ready?

Thanks

You've got time. A week or so to ferment, another few days to a week dry hopping, then cold crashing for a few days, transfer to keg, burst carb for a few days, then it another few days to equalize and clear in the keg, you could add finings in the keg. I'd say you could pull it off, although first time kegging you would want to read up and make sure that goes well

That is a pretty narrow window especially when a week or two of age can do wonders for a higher-hopped beer. I have to say, a German hefeweizen would be done in time and prolly an American wheat as well. Don't know if those are ones you'd want to do but they'd be ready in that window.

You can easily make an IPA to be at its peak in less than a month.

I'm finishing a keg of IPA right now that I brewed on 6/7/16 (as in, right this very minute). It's the 40th pint out of that keg, or thereabouts, and it's been on tap for several weeks. I would guess that a well made IPA would be at its peak at about day 21.

Thanks All! I'll give it a shot and if I don't make it on time I'll just have a couple more bottles worth to myself

Just to give an update and I have a question
Tomorrow is day 7 of dry hopping and I'm a bit stuck on next steps. I used leaf hops for the first time and wasn't sure what to expect. They are sitting on top with most of them saturated but a few still dry.

The beer itself is pretty clear. Should I still cold crash with hops sitting on top? If so, how long?

I have 8-9 days left to enter this. I'm feeling pretty pumped to taste this one

IMG_20160728_223157.jpg

One other thought. Could I transfer to a keg, cold crash, then move to the serving keg and carbonate? Or is this too much work?

Gooser, My apologies for the tardiness in response. Was on vacation. I assume you have already transferred to a keg but if you haven't, then cold crashing in a keg and transferring to another one is a great idea. I secondary in kegs then cold crash and use a jumper hose to transfer to the serving keg. Only thing to remember is take off a pint or two until it's clear. Then, open the pop off valve and fill it up. You really only need about 2-5psi to push it. It'll clear your beer right up if that's what you're looking for. The effort isn't a big deal. Another good thing is, it's probably already chilled so force carbonation can begin immediately if you want. No need to wait for it to chill down.

Latest posts

Back