English Mild recipe critique.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justdrumin

Reaction score
I'm planning to brew an English Mild next Friday and would love to have some criticism from someone with more knowledge on the style.

Title: English Mild

Brew Method: All Grain
Style Name: Mild
Boil Time: 90 min
Batch Size: 5.5 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 8.5 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.025
Efficiency: 70% (brew house)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.038
Final Gravity: 1.009
ABV (standard): 3.79%
IBU (tinseth): 20.86
SRM (morey): 13.25

FERMENTABLES:
7 lb - United Kingdom - Maris Otter Pale (86.8%)
1 lb - United Kingdom - Dark Crystal 80L (12.4%)
1 oz - United Kingdom - Chocolate (0.8%)

HOPS:
1 oz - Fuggles, Type: Pellet, AA: 4.5, Use: Boil for 90 min, IBU: 20.86

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Infusion, Temp: 156 F, Time: 60 min, Amount: 3 gal
2) Sparge, Temp: 170 F, Time: 15 min, Amount: 7 gal
Starting Mash Thickness: 1.5 qt/lb

YEAST:
Mangrove Jack - British Ale Yeast
Starter: No
Form: Dry
Attenuation (avg): 78%
Flocculation: High
Optimum Temp: 57 - 72 F
Fermentation Temp: 64 F
Pitch Rate: 0.75 (M cells / ml / deg P)

looks good, I would do 1/2 lb of the crystal and a 1/2 lb of the chocolate

I do one close but use I use roasted barley and flaked barely

for 11.5 gallon batch I do

13 lbs 2-row
1 lb chocolate
1 crystal 40
4 oz roasted barley
1 lb flaked barely

sometimes I cut the 2 row to 9 lbs and add 4 lbs of Vienna

all the best

S_M

I have seen some recipes that have more chocolate or black patent in it, but I was wanting to go a little lighter for the style. I was considering going a little lighter on the crystal seeing how I plan to use marria otter, but the BYO article I read said that generally you want 10-15 percent crystal. I believe the amount I have rings in around 12%.

I have seen some recipes that have more chocolate or black patent in it, but I was wanting to go a little lighter for the style. I was considering going a little lighter on the crystal seeing how I plan to use marria otter, but the BYO article I read said that generally you want 10-15 percent crystal. I believe the amount I have rings in around 12%.

Yeah, you definitely want to go a little heavy on the crystal with this style, IMHO. Because the beer is so small you need to make sure there is enough body in it so it doesn't feel as small as it really is.

I think you're recipe looks alright. I brewed JZ's Dark Mild and replaced half the maris otter with mild malt and it turned out really good. Also did some bourbon soaked oak cubes on half of it, which I thought brought out a lot in the beer.

Another thought....

You have you're attenuation set for 78%. Unless you think the mash temp, crystal and chocolate will leave enough residual sugar, you may want to consider using a less attenuative british yeast.

Another thought....

You have you're attenuation set for 78%. Unless you think the mash temp, crystal and chocolate will leave enough residual sugar, you may want to consider using a less attenuative british yeast.

That's what I thought. I thought it was pretty normal to go a little heavy on the crystal. I hadn't thought about attenuation though. Good thought!! Maybe a higher mash temp? My LHBS doesn't have much for liquid yeast. I may be able to go with s-04, but idk if that would be any better.

I'd be surprised if your British yeast takes you down to 1.009, and do you want it that dry?

The thing is that British mild runs a large range between light and dark/malty. You need to try it and see what you think... for your mild. Then adjust as needed.

I prefer a nuttiness to my mild, so I use brown and victory malts with the maris otter with a little pale chocolate. If I wanted a slight raisiny flavor I would add some dark crystal. I prefer it to finish in the 1.014 range and have had ok results with 04 but prefer 1469 and 1275 yeasts. But again, that's what I like.

I'd be surprised if your British yeast takes you down to 1.009, and do you want it that dry?

The thing is that British mild runs a large range between light and dark/malty. You need to try it and see what you think... for your mild. Then adjust as needed.

I prefer a nuttiness to my mild, so I use brown and victory malts with the maris otter with a little pale chocolate. If I wanted a slight raisiny flavor I would add some dark crystal. I prefer it to finish in the 1.014 range and have had ok results with 04 but prefer 1469 and 1275 yeasts. But again, that's what I like.

The attenuation was a preset average attenuation in Brewers friend. That's not really a number I put in there. Which is why I said I may mash higher to keep the tv a few points higher.I wish I had access to a bunch more liquid strains, but my LHBS doesn't carry very many and I'm not going to pay shipping for a vial of smack pack.

Ok, so I called my LHBS and he said he carries 1098. Any thoughts on using this yeast?

Also, he said he doesn't have any Uk crystal, but he does have UK brown malt. Any thoughts on using this malt?

Brown malt is great but use sparingly in a mild. A mild should not have roast / burnt flavours. Some nuttiness, caramel or a hint of chocolate are ok. They are not related in any way to porters and some of them are like darker ordinary bitters. You can also get some pale milds but they are rare nowadays (only two left that I know of). Consider brewers caramel, dark invert sugar or sinamar for colour.

Brown malt is great but use sparingly in a mild. A mild should not have roast / burnt flavours. Some nuttiness, caramel or a hint of chocolate are ok. They are not related in any way to porters and some of them are like darker ordinary bitters. You can also get some pale milds but they are rare nowadays (only two left that I know of). Consider brewers caramel, dark invert sugar or sinamar for colour.

I am not familiar with brown malt at all. I will avoid it then! Maybe I should just stick with the Marris otter and some chocolate for color? Unless you think American crystal will be sufficient.

I am not familiar with brown malt at all. I will avoid it then! Maybe I should just stick with the Marris otter and some chocolate for color? Unless you think American crystal will be sufficient.

American crystal should be fine. A better sub than using something else like brown malt, for sure. It'd probably be hard to tell the difference between using a little US crystal vs UK crystal

I Just found a recipe for Tetleys Mild that looks to be very promising. The comments look great! It looks like they used English pale, flaked barley, invert No 2 and lots of caramel in their recipe. Any idea what invert no 2 is? I can't find Brewers caramel in my brewing software either so I wouldn't know where to start with amounts. Thanks for your help.

Edit: It also says to do a 3 hour boil!

I Just found a recipe for Tetleys Mild that looks to be very promising. The comments look great! It looks like they used English pale, flaked barley, invert No 2 and lots of caramel in their recipe. Any idea what invert no 2 is? I can't find Brewers caramel in my brewing software either so I wouldn't know where to start with amounts. Thanks for your help.

Edit: It also says to do a 3 hour boil!
To quore manufacturer Ragus:

"Brewer’s Sugar No.2
This can be produced as a fully inverted (glucose-fructose mixture) syrup or seeded into a crystalline block. It’s 95% readily fermentable, with an amber colour (60-70 EBC) and strong flavour. It’s used in bitter and strong ale."

It's cane sugar that has been inverted. Get raw / demerara sugar, use lactic acid as a catalyst, and slowly heat at a high temperature without burning (with water obviously). #2 is the second lightest grade and gives amber colour and a honeyed flavour. I make them at home.

I ended up changing things up.

7lbs MO
.5lb 60L
4oz 120L
4oz chocolate

.75oz EKG @ 60
.25oz EKG @ 15

Mash at 154*F

I ended up being able to get a hold of some WLP002.

I hit all my numbers well. I got a little better efficiency than expected and it ended up getting 68% attenuation. Sample tastes fantastic! We'll see how it ends up after a few more weeks. Thanks for the help!

Edit: OG 1.040, FG 1.014

Back