English bitter stuck at 2.3% abv.... how to get it fermenting again?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mugwump3

Reaction score
I have an English bitter that got stuck. SG: 1035. Currently: 1017 and holding there for 12 days.

Used White Labs California Ale yeast.

It's in a room that varies between 60-72 degrees. Yesterday, I tried to give it a little shaky whirl. Nothing changed.

So, what should I do?

Can I just buy another pack of yeast and throw it in there, or will that result in disaster?

thanks.

-Tony

move it to a room that stays at the upper end of that temp range, and let it sit. let it slosh some while moving it

Keep it at 65F and swirl it every time you walk buy for a week then take a gravity reading to see if anything changed. If nothing has changed at that time you will probably need to repitch.

repitching is not just dumping in more yeast. It will require you to make a starter and pitch it at high krausen.

I would try swirling first.

You didn't say what room it was in. Is it on a concrete floor? If it is, the floor is probably colder than the room, and the wort will take the temperature of the floor rather than the surrounding air.

Back