English Ales - What's your favorite recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the information @Knox, I could not find anything that referenced mint for brambling cross. I was a bit surprised when looking for information that there not many hops with a mint flavor. I recall getting some mint from some of the hallertau type hops.

Interesting recipe, I tend to use a few pounds of vienna malt to add a little character but I can see how it would be pretty good as the main base malt. I have never used the cream ale blend but it too seems interesting.

Thanks for the information @Knox, I could not find anything that referenced mint for brambling cross. I was a bit surprised when looking for information that there not many hops with a mint flavor. I recall getting some mint from some of the hallertau type hops.
Again it is anecdotal from my own experience and sensory evaluation, and from my memory talking with these Welsh brewers. You ain't alone! :)

Interesting recipe, I tend to use a few pounds of vienna malt to add a little character but I can see how it would be pretty good as the main base malt. I have never used the cream ale blend but it too seems interesting.
I generally just like Vienna Malt. It is like a house malt for me.
The Cream Ale blend surprised me, I did a few differnet takes with the yeasts.
  1. S-04
  2. US-05
  3. London Ale
  4. Cream Ale Blend
When I tasted the version with Cream Ale Blend, I hit the nail on the coffin. I was really happy with it. :)

Got some books in the mail.

Attachments

• IMG_20211230_151629.jpg
    IMG_20211230_151629.jpg
    5.3 MB · Views: 38
That's going to keep you busy for a while! Although they aren't exactly the kind of books you read from cover to cover

Quintuplets! RonP must think Xmas has actually come this year. I only have two of his books and one bespoke recipe. If you haven't done it yet, I do suggest requesting a birthday recipe (or a specific date of your choosing). Ron searched my birthday all the way back to the same date almost 40 years earlier in 1925 to find me a beauty of a 1032 partigyle AK (also included free as part of the partygyle was a PA and XK).

It's also a great birthday gift if you know a homebrewer, and combine the recipe with the ingredients.

Anyhoo, if you like Shut UP, it's the least you can do. ;)

I’ve seen Northern Brewer (the hop) described as having mint notes.
Interesting! I haven't used Northern Brewer (the shop and hop! ;) ) before, nor really looked at it if I am being honest.

Interesting! I haven't used Northern Brewer (the shop and hop! ;) ) before, nor really looked at it if I am being honest.
It was in all the Pete’s Wicked clones back in the day. I’ve used it a few times as a bittering but not recently. It does appear in English ale recipes, usually for bittering.

It was in all the Pete’s Wicked clones back in the day. I’ve used it a few times as a bittering but not recently. It does appear in English ale recipes, usually for bittering.
Before my time, unfortunately I have never had it. Probably why @Northern_Brewer was never really interesting to me as a hop. But maybe I should try it out in an ordinary bitter or in the Wicked Ale clone ;)

It does appear in English ale recipes, usually for bittering.

Northern Brewer is a bit of an anachronism these days - she was one of the first varieties bred as a bittering hop, there was a brief period when an 8% alpha hop was exciting and lots of beers used her, but then she was fairly quickly superceded by newer varieties with higher alpha or better agronomics. I'm not sure anyone grows her seriously in the UK any more, but like her grandmother Brewer's Gold she does get grown a bit in Germany as they like her soft bittering for helles.

Got some books in the mail.

Nice, enjoy! I have 16-17 of @patto1ro Ron's books, and they are great. As mentioned not what one would typically say is a style of book you would read cover to cover, but I actually did so, just because that's my personality.

Nevertheless, I find myself returning to these books often. Lots of great nuggets, tables, etc. that over time I can refer too when wanting to craft a recipe or need clarification on something.

Northern Brewer is a bit of an anachronism these days - she was one of the first varieties bred as a bittering hop, there was a brief period when an 8% alpha hop was exciting and lots of beers used her, but then she was fairly quickly superceded by newer varieties with higher alpha or better agronomics. I'm not sure anyone grows her seriously in the UK any more, but like her grandmother Brewer's Gold she does get grown a bit in Germany as they like her soft bittering for helles.
I have an American Pale Ale on deck I’m going to brew with NB for bittering and Cascade and Citra for finishing hops

Quintuplets! RonP must think Xmas has actually come this year. I only have two of his books and one bespoke recipe. If you haven't done it yet, I do suggest requesting a birthday recipe (or a specific date of your choosing). Ron searched my birthday all the way back to the same date almost 40 years earlier in 1925 to find me a beauty of a 1032 partigyle AK (also included free as part of the partygyle was a PA and XK).

It's also a great birthday gift if you know a homebrewer, and combine the recipe with the ingredients.

Anyhoo, if you like Shut UP, it's the least you can do. ;)
I was intrigued by this and just looked at it. Somethings wrong, when you click on his button its generating an error saying “This agency is not eligible for donations.” ?

lots of info in here, i couldn't possibly absorb it all. I think i'm going to pump out some drinkable english ales this year and wanted to clean-up my untested recipes.
-i've never used sugars, are they drying out the beer? adding any flavor? full boil or add late? was also kicking around Admiral as a late hop in some of them but haven't seen it mentioned here. would some victory be out of place in a bitter or mild?
-also i used a balanced water profile on a recent Bronze medal ESB that was described as a little too malty for a strong bitter, should i lean towards a little bitter on the water? Water was adjusted on Brewers Friend. I used S04 and i'm not sure i loved it.

Darker invert sugars thin out a beer a little, but not as much as one would think, also leaves a nice toffee/butterscotch-ish flavour that you can't really get any other way. Can replace crystal completely if used at around 10% in a bitter.
Amber or brown malt ( the real deal sourced from UK) can definitely be used in a bitter in small amounts for a little depth.
Yeast wise any English strain would work, Verdant, lallemand esb, Windsor etc if you prefer dry. Don't ferment cold to try to subdue all the ester character as some USians tend to do, kinda defeats the purpose of using an English strain.

Before my time, unfortunately I have never had it. Probably why @Northern_Brewer was never really interesting to me as a hop. But maybe I should try it out in an ordinary bitter or in the Wicked Ale clone ;)
Northern Brewer is the required/signature hop in a California Common? Like Anchor Steam. I believe.

(sniffs)

Well I do use this stuff sometimes, that could be it?

https://www.originalsource.co.uk/products/originals/mint-shower-gel/
Don't use that stuff, but would that be something you use late boil or does it require a dry hop type approach? :)

Yep. I did some darker beers last year with NB FWH and bittering.. A little mint came through. Was really nice in a dry stout. Not a menthol hit, but very refreshing.

I’ve seen Northern Brewer (the hop) described as having mint notes.

I did know northern brewer does have mint as a descriptor, but don't think I have actually noticed it personally.

I would say the flavor is like what @DBhomebrew says he get from NB, the herbal grassy portion of mint with a slight touch of the menthol component.

When I first noticed the flavor and did some looking I only found like three hops, Northern Brewer, Perle and another I dont recall. I did another look and found a place that listed 19 hops that had mint as a descriptor, but bramling cross was not on the list.
Mint Flavored Hops - Beer Maverick

As a side note I fermented the main batch with WLP013 London Ale and a small portion of the same wort with wyeast 3655 schelde ale yeast. The portion fermented with 3655 does/did not have any mint flavor or aroma.

I have some hops left and will try them in a simple beer to see if the flavor comes through again.

-also i used a balanced water profile on a recent Bronze medal ESB that was described as a little too malty for a strong bitter, should i lean towards a little bitter on the water? Water was adjusted on Brewers Friend. I used S04 and i'm not sure i loved it.
I find that S04 does accentuate the malt, which is a good thing IMHO. ESBs should be malty and finish dry. Seeing you got a bronze, maybe a slight shift toward "bitter" or dry would put you in silver or gold territory. Small changes to improve what is already good!

Darker invert sugars thin out a beer a little, but not as much as one would think, also leaves a nice toffee/butterscotch-ish flavour that you can't really get any other way. Can replace crystal completely if used at around 10% in a bitter.
Amber or brown malt ( the real deal sourced from UK) can definitely be used in a bitter in small amounts for a little depth.
Yeast wise any English strain would work, Verdant, lallemand esb, Windsor etc if you prefer dry. Don't ferment cold to try to subdue all the ester character as some USians tend to do, kinda defeats the purpose of using an English strain.
Ok thanks. Yes that is a flavor I wasn’t sure how to get. . Is that boiled 60 minutes?
I pretty much only use WL liquid yeast. 005,002. Might try that pub yeast from imperial.

Last edited:
I find that S04 does accentuate the malt, which is a good thing IMHO. ESBs should be malty and finish dry. Seeing you got a bronze, maybe a slight shift toward "bitter" or dry would put you in silver or gold territory. Small changes to improve what is already good!
It stalled out on me a bit at .015 with .054OG. Funny I brewed an export stout just before it , which also just got a bronze in a Christmas themed comp, It finished high at .022. I poured the esb on the S04 yeast from the stout

Last edited:
Northern Brewer is the required/signature hop in a California Common? Like Anchor Steam. I believe.
Oh I did not know that! I had a few of those while in SF. Delisious beer! :) I haven't been looking to recreate the beer so I didn't look at what goes into it. :')

Although it's a bit of a contrived link, NB was bred in 1934, long after the historical steam beers had been and gone. But her grandfather OY1 was a wild hop that allegedly came from Russian River in the 1920s. She's not contributing huge amounts of flavour to Anchor Steam though, beyond bittering.

Don't use that stuff, but would that be something you use late boil or does it require a dry hop type approach? :)

I don't recommend using it with boiling water, or indeed much above 40°C/104°F!

-i've never used sugars, are they drying out the beer? adding any flavor?

They help balance it, and particularly for darker beers like mild can be an important part of the flavour.

was also kicking around Admiral as a late hop in some of them but haven't seen it mentioned here.

It's primarily a bittering hop, it's the British equivalent of Magnum or something. It gives a pleasant but fairly subtle oranginess as a late hop - if that's what you're going for then you're better off with something like First Gold, but it's fine to use up any Admiral you have around like that.

would some victory be out of place in a bitter or mild?

It's not something that's ever really used in the UK, but mixing some victory with 2-row is a US hack to approximate British pale malts.

It's simplistic to think of water in terms of "bitter" vs "malty". These profiles from Murphys, one of the main British brewing labs, can be considered representative of water for traditional styles in modern commercial brewing, but it gets more complicated once you get onto the fusion you're seeing with trad styles meeting New World hops. And then there's also a certain amount of regional variation just to further complicate things...

https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/...vous-about-mineral-levels.94723/#post-1044916

it gets more complicated once you get onto the fusion you're seeing with trad styles meeting New World hops.

I guess I’m somewhat a traditionalist, though not to the levels of CAMRA, etc. I would never even think of putting American hops into British beer. And there are so many new hops out of Australia and such now that nobody can keep up. The hops are a big part of what makes Bitter and Pale what they are. Using American hops just turns it into American Pale Ale, which is something completely different. I guess it goes to show people always want what they can’t have.

@Northern brewer. Thanks for the input. I saw admiral described as marmalade somewhere and slight orange elsewhere. Sounds like it’s not worth the bother
- those are pretty generic water descriptions I gave but I don’t get deep enough into water chemistry to target water profiles. I have good brewing water in Florida and just make minor salt adjustments. I’ll go back and compare my adj water link to the link you provided though

Using American hops just turns it into American Pale Ale, which is something completely different. I guess it goes to show people always want what they can’t have.

No - it just shows that beer is always evolving and taking on inspiration from elsewhere and then tries to adapt to local circumstances. They're no more an APA than American Ambers are a kind of bitter, or steam beer is a helles. You don't get APA on cask, APA is not usually made with British malts, APAs don't generally get down to the high 3%'s. New-wave bitters are often all three. And the balance is different to an APA

Perhaps they're best explained through the eyes of a USian :

What’s This? “Juicy Bitter” on Cask? — Beervana (and following)
The remarkable thing is that it managed to create the kind of balance I’ve never encountered in a session IPA. Putting it on cask allowed the malt to emerge, both as a flavor note and textural element. Session IPAs are comparatively top-heavy: all hops with nothing underneath to support them....This “juicy bitter” solved the riddle by going on cask.

The presence of malt is what makes this beer sing, but I suspect we can taste and feel it on our tongue largely because the hops additions have been dialed back. On keg, I wouldn’t be surprised if everything seemed a bit pallid and sad. But putting it on cask, serving at 55 degrees, and allowing those hop aromatics to blossom, changes everything. You get intense juiciness, but not just juiciness. Less hops on cask means more flavor—of both malt and hop.

Yeah we do have session IPA here, some of which are very low alcohol. No, American beers are generally not served on cask. Some of the breweries here do use British malts and some of the APAs and IPAs here have British hops in the mix. A local very large brewery near here likes EKG and uses it in their American IPA.

Juicy is usually the word everybody uses here for NEIPA these days. The other word on every label description now is “dank”. The beers that have no hops added at all during the boil and everything goes in one giant charge at flameout. They are everywhere and I’ve not been a fan. I generally avoid beers that have those words in the description.

We have a problem here with the beers not being properly labelled and more and more of them are sold in cans now as canning machines have gotten cheap enough that every mom and pop microbrewery has one. So you can’t see what you’re buying. I don’t want my beer to look like a glass of orange juice and if you ask for a clear IPA in a restaurant here some waitress or bartender is going to have to go find a manager because they don’t know what you’re talking about.

Sometimes I wish beer would evolve a bit less.

Without beers evolving we wouldn't have milds and bitters. After all mild as we now it today has only really been around since the late ww1 and interwar period, and Bitters since around the late 1800's.
I get what you mean though, but that's why we homebrew, I also try to keep it traditional and to brew most my beers as what I imagine you would get in a pub when you ordered a brown, bitter, mild, porter etc in the good old days.
Evolving is good, as long as tradition is still remembered.

Yeah we do have session IPA here, some of which are very low alcohol. No, American beers are generally not served on cask. Some of the breweries here do use British malts and some of the APAs and IPAs here have British hops in the mix. A local very large brewery near here likes EKG and uses it in their American IPA.

Juicy is usually the word everybody uses here for NEIPA these days. The other word on every label description now is “dank”. The beers that have no hops added at all during the boil and everything goes in one giant charge at flameout. They are everywhere and I’ve not been a fan. I generally avoid beers that have those words in the description.

We have a problem here with the beers not being properly labelled and more and more of them are sold in cans now as canning machines have gotten cheap enough that every mom and pop microbrewery has one. So you can’t see what you’re buying. I don’t want my beer to look like a glass of orange juice and if you ask for a clear IPA in a restaurant here some waitress or bartender is going to have to go find a manager because they don’t know what you’re talking about.

Sometimes I wish beer would evolve a bit less.
Maybe Clear IPA will be the next provisional style. Until someone says, 'Hang on, we used to have this before!"

Same is happening in the UK, especially in urban areas. Pubs are closing and craft bars multiplying. Lots of hazy fruit juice. Often badly presented, in my opinion. It's driven prices up a lot too. When I visit less urban places and get a pint of cask in a pub, it's half the price. I'm seriously considering moving out of the city! 🤣

I do like US hops and lots of English beers use them now. A welcome addition. NZ hops too obviously. The hops we import have given brewers a much broader palette to work from and many have used that really well. UK beers are much more varied and interesting than they were, hybrid I guess, with the inclusion of hops from far away.

I just don't care for these hybrids. I tried a few, but every time I had an "oldschool" English cask bitter, the sun was shining. Even the beers that I did not care so much from the bottle were really really nice once they came out of these English cask pumping stations of which my German brain is still trying to digest their very existence. For example Fuller's London pride. Meeeh... from the bottle, moooooooooore! From the tap! Proper job, same story. I miss pubs :(

I just don't care for these hybrids. I tried a few, but every time I had an "oldschool" English cask bitter, the sun was shining. Even the beers that I did not care so much from the bottle were really really nice once they came out of these English cask pumping stations of which my German brain is still trying to digest their very existence. For example Fuller's London pride. Meeeh... from the bottle, moooooooooore! From the tap! Proper job, same story. I miss pubs :(
Yeah it's all personal taste. Proper Job contains US hops though! 🤠

There's always outliers - but eg Untappd's top 5 session IPAs are all 5% (or within a whisker of it), whereas many British pubs won't even put on anything over 4.5% on cask, and the median for the British beers we're talking about is somewhere near 4%. Cask on its own makes a huge difference, but I'd agree with Jeff that the difference is that they're not just about the hops, there's more of a balance when you've got characterful British malts and yeast, and lower carbonation, and they tend to have less of the stupid amounts of dry hops.

There's similarities - but we can allow different traditions to approach things differently, in the same way that eg lagers and saisons have many ingredients in common, but the result is rather different.

I guess I’m somewhat a traditionalist, though not to the levels of CAMRA, etc. I would never even think of putting American hops into British beer. And there are so many new hops out of Australia and such now that nobody can keep up. The hops are a big part of what makes Bitter and Pale what they are. Using American hops just turns it into American Pale Ale, which is something completely different. I guess it goes to show people always want what they can’t have.
Many of the newer British hop varieties, e.g. Jester, Olicana, Harlequin, are pursuing those "American" flavor notes. While not for traditional bitters, very many brewers are using those and American hops in cask beer. The story of beer in Britain is one of constant evolution.

Back