End of the world supply

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jako

Reaction score
i bought a 55LB bag of MO

a pound of cluster

a pound of loral

Imperial Cable car

Imperial house

Saf 05 x2, 97 , and 04

no idea what i plan to make but it should get interesting. we started to stagger shifts at work but we wont shut down. i plan to use this time to do the finishing touched on my home brewery and knock out my first batches.

who else picked up some supplies to kill time or have some drinks on hand?

i'm down to four kegs of cider, so i just had 10 gallons dropped off on my door step, from instacart....speaking of which that reminds me i need to add it to the tally! next thread incoming!! :)

I have nada! Zero! Nothing! Nichts!

Just didn't but anything since I moved back to Germany.... Haven't even got a single fermenter (not counting the three one gallon balloons).

My CO2 tank ran out yesterday, so I got that swapped in the nick of time, as "non-essential" businesses are going to start closing in my county this weekend.

Just stocked up on pilsner, Munich, Vienna, and a variety of noble hops. I've got dried lager, ale, and weissbier yeast and will plan to harvest from each batch I brew.

Thank goodness the weather is warming up. This would suck a whole lot more if we were just entering winter.

i bought a 55LB bag of MO

a pound of cluster

a pound of loral

Imperial Cable car

Imperial house

Saf 05 x2, 97 , and 04

no idea what i plan to make but it should get interesting. we started to stagger shifts at work but we wont shut down. i plan to use this time to do the finishing touched on my home brewery and knock out my first batches.

who else picked up some supplies to kill time or have some drinks on hand?

Hell you have some nice problems there...
If only I could be in your situation.

I will almost certainly have to postpone my long-planned and ardently awaited brew day next week to an unspecified date in the future due to a combination of work and child-care (and no, my kids are still too small and cannot safely engage in my brewing activities).

And I am not brewing since November...can you imagine?:mad:

I have 55 lbs of Swaen Pilsner and 55 lbs of Muntons Matis Otter on the way. Need to do a small order for DME and check on hops and speciality grains for the next few expected brews. If I'm going to be stuck in the house, might as well brew.

My CO2 tank ran out yesterday, so I got that swapped in the nick of time, as "non-essential" businesses are going to start closing in my county this weekend.
I don't know enough about welders to know where their business is, but it seems like some of it would have to be 'essential'...

Interestingly enough, I started inventorying all my brewing supplies this morning. Got plenty of liquid and dry yeasts, various sugars and syrups. Still need to tackle the hops and malts. Plenty of both, but not sure of types and quantities. Was planning on a brew this morning, but weather turned nasty and snow expected. So, kick back and have a beer!

I brewed 3 batches staggered to keep a fresh supply going, but didn't have time to get grain. I have 25 lbs of sugar and a bunch of crystal malt. Might use the crystal for color and flavor and sugar as the fermentable, and see how that turns out.

I brewed 3 batches staggered to keep a fresh supply going, but didn't have time to get grain. I have 25 lbs of sugar and a bunch of crystal malt. Might use the crystal for color and flavor and sugar as the fermentable, and see how that turns out.

We're back to brewing with acorns and whatever crap you can covert

I do a lot of ordering from Morebeer but usually wait until there's some kind of sale going on, which they do fairly frequently. I have supplies for my next couple batches but I'm ready to make a big order so I'm set for awhile. I just filled by 20 lb CO2 tank last week but my 10 lb was low but didn't want to fill it until it ran out. Really should've done them both

Just stocked up on pilsner, Munich, Vienna, and a variety of noble hops. I've got dried lager, ale, and weissbier yeast and will plan to harvest from each batch I brew.

Thank goodness the weather is warming up. This would suck a whole lot more if we were just entering winter.
I agree about the weather. I also have a fear my C02 tank will run out.

Hell you have some nice problems there...
If only I could be in your situation.

I will almost certainly have to postpone my long-planned and ardently awaited brew day next week to an unspecified date in the future due to a combination of work and child-care (and no, my kids are still too small and cannot safely engage in my brewing activities).

And I am not brewing since November...can you imagine?:mad:
I can imagine I haven't brewed since August.

I'd you do this I definitely want to know how it turns out

I get my C02 from a medical supply distributor. I should be okay but famous last words

I got my 20lb tank exchanged at the beginning of December and it's still going strong. Gonna go exchange my 5lb on Friday to have a backup...with "normal" use it lasts about 2 months.

How bad is it for you guys?
The virus made the impossible happen, border controls! Unbelievable, but true. I think there is not a real impact here yet, except for people freaking out and buying all the toilet paper and noodles that they can get. Economically, this will be a desaster. Shops are forced to be shut down except for supermarkets etc. And all events cancelled.

My homebrew supply in SWFL hinted about shutting down earlier this week. I said NO until i could get a good supply of goods in for the long haul. I don't mind making recipies on the fly if i have to, but I want some brews planned before the shutdown. I will go stir crazy if do not have any malt and hop on hand! (I always have a supply of yeast)

IMG_20200318_195624349_HDR.jpg

Christmas in Tucson. Let the world end!

The virus made the impossible happen, border controls! Unbelievable, but true. I think there is not a real impact here yet, except for people freaking out and buying all the toilet paper and noodles that they can get. Economically, this will be a desaster. Shops are forced to be shut down except for supermarkets etc. And all events cancelled.

Just noticed you are in Bremen now. I was there a couple of years ago visiting a colleague/friend at the MPI. Had a lot of fun paddling the river.. ..but the beer was really boring (sorry....). Had to get my buddy to take me to a beer bar downtown on the last night. Had a blast at this place.. ..huge variety on tap, including North American styles. His whole research group got completely liquored-up.

OK, regarding the OP.. ..I'm good. Got a sack of MO, a sack of generic pilsner, 1/2 sack of Weyermann pilsner, 2/3 sack of Weyermann Vienna, and a variety of different yeasts. My neighbours are relying on me to get through the apocalypse :rock:

Just noticed you are in Bremen now. I was there a couple of years ago visiting a colleague/friend at the MPI. Had a lot of fun paddling the river.. ..but the beer was really boring (sorry....). Had to get my buddy to take me to a beer bar downtown on the last night. Had a blast at this place.. ..huge variety on tap, including North American styles. His whole research group got completely liquored-up.

OK, regarding the OP.. ..I'm good. Got a sack of MO, a sack of generic pilsner, 1/2 sack of Weyermann pilsner, 2/3 sack of Weyermann Vienna, and a variety of different yeasts. My neighbours are relying on me to get through the apocalypse :rock:

Edit: Oh, and many, many pounds of hops in the freezer.. ..see username :)
Edit 2: Had a few "Viral Apocalypse IPAs"....

Last edited:
Aside from my cellar of commercial beer, plus a remnants of a few batches of bottled homebrew,
a full keg and about 1.5 - 2 gallons in another, I have about 25 lbs 2row pale, 25 of pilsner, 5 of MO, a few of light crystal. 8 oz Cascade, a pound of citra, a couple oz Simcoe.
a bunch of yeasts in the fridge - plus DME for starters. I have a pack each of S04 and S05 as backups.
I don't bother with distilled water - I have pretty good town water, and we run drinking water through a brita anyways.
added to booze and wine, I think I'm good for a while.

Yes that's Germany! Boring beer! I try to tell this to people, but they all want to believe the romantic beer country story. Doesn't matter that I'm actually German myself and know what I'm talking about :D

If you go to Bavaria, there's slightly more going on, but still it is limited to very few styles and only very few brands per pub.

We do the native German beers from from ok to very very good, but you can count them on one hand and most of them are some type of lager.

Everything else......... Mostly not worth a try. Ratsherrn Brauerei from Hamburg for example, great Pilsener, tried to do multiple ales, failed miserably, they are just really bad ales. They don't know how to and that's the end of the story. But best thing is, most Germans never had a good ale, so they just don't know how it can taste and so they still buy the crap....

Same for us as well. My wife waited in the cold and snow for an hour so we could get toilet paper.. MVP for sure. It I was worried about anything it's my grandparents but they are holding up great.

My homebrew supply in SWFL hinted about shutting down earlier this week. I said NO until i could get a good supply of goods in for the long haul. I don't mind making recipies on the fly if i have to, but I want some brews planned before the shutdown. I will go stir crazy if do not have any malt and hop on hand! (I always have a supply of yeast)
Mine shut down for today after the earthquake. I was told they plan on staying open untill forced to close

Regretting my one grain buy. But I was in such a rush to finish up an appointment get to the city double back and get ready for work then make it to work on time. I also had my 3 year old with me but she is pretty good it hardly slowed me down.

I agree about the weather. I also have a fear my C02 tank will run out.

I had the same fear. I have no idea how much is left in my 20lbs tank, so I took my old 10lbs in Monday for an exchange.

Overall I have around 70lbs of base malt and 20lbs of specialty malts and flaked grains. I only have one strand of viable yeast at this point. Around 6lbs of hops. I should be ok for a while.

Just finished the grain inventory, 300 pounds on hand, with a rough split of 200 pounds base malts, and 100 pounds of various specialty malts. All that's left is a hops inventory. Kinda reluctant to go there, but if I get bored enough, I will.
So, has anybody taken stock of empty bottles/kegs/casks?
IMG_20200319_062610655.jpg

What I have bottle conditioning right now. Along with 10 cases of bombers in cellar storage.

I've got 3 low kegs on tap, 5 gallons fermenting, 5 gallons aging, and I'm brewing another 5 gallons tomorrow

My stash includes 25lb of Pilsner, 15lb of 6-row, 10lb of grits, 10lb of misc specialty malts, 5lb of leftover base malts (maris otter, golden promise, vienna, munich) and about 6lb of hops (I have an entire freezer drawer dedicated to hops and it's packed full). So I estimate I have about 30-50 gallons worth of beer supplies on hand if things get really bad and I keep my OG under control. Maybe that's not enough... :ghostly:

Just finished the grain inventory, 300 pounds on hand, with a rough split of 200 pounds base malts, and 100 pounds of various specialty malts. All that's left is a hops inventory. Kinda reluctant to go there, but if I get bored enough, I will.
So, has anybody taken stock of empty bottles/kegs/casks?
View attachment 671630
What I have bottle conditioning right now. Along with 10 cases of bombers in cellar storage.

dang i am slacking. i thought about calling local breweries to see if i could buy some grain or run some growlers off since its all shut down.

You can always keg condition and just use a touch of c02 to push the beer out. I've been doing that this winter with a mini regulator and it works great. I should have been doing that when I had my 5lb tank. A fill would have lasted a couple years.

I try to stay well stocked throughout the year, so I didn't actually have to do anything special for this pandemic.

Right now I've got over #500 of base grain, and I keep about 2 dozen varieties of specialty grain in gallon plastic screw top containers that can hold up to about #4. I also have about #30 of hops in the freezer. I have some dry yeast and slurries on hand as well, but I would definitely need to grow them up - I also have about 5 cases of canned wort in 1 qt mason jars.

In the walk-in, I have 14 taps flowing right now, and I have a total of around 70 kegs in there filled with something (mostly beer, but some wine, mead, cider, and a few sodas).

I forgot to mention CO2 - I have two #50 tanks and five #20 tanks, all filled. I think one of the #20 is getting a bit low, but I should be good on CO2 for a while too.

Back