Electrican wants $3000 to

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike11b82

Reaction score
Just had an estimate done to install a spa panel. The electrician told me I'd have to get a bigger panel and that is really my only option. He quoted me 2000 for the panel and about 800 more the the extra outlets, one 30 amp and one 20 amp. I was planning on building a controls panel very soon, but now I don't know what to do. He described my panel as an "old split bus". I'll try to upload a pic. So my question is, does any one think I have any other options?

Thanks in advance

image-1352867192.jpg

I would get a few more quotes.

Did he mention upgrading the service coming into the house ?

He said it looks like 150 service to the house

I have a dryer outlet up stairs, but I need the new outlet to be used for a step in cooler I jut got and for brewing.

Get a second opinion. And then a third. I am an electrician in NC. That sounds like a high estimate. It is hard to tell from the pic but it looks like he wants to upgrade your service to a higher amperage and a larger panel with more breaker spaces. If you upgrade your service from 125amps to 200amps, I would think it should cost about half what you were quoted. Not knowing the installation details I would say to ask around for some reputable electricians and get some more quotes. Good luck.

i just called today and electrician told me 1500-1900 depending on grounding requirements from the city to go from 100 to 200

Def seems a little high. Even in high price washington dc area an average heavy up is in the range u were quoted but def for A 200a service. Tthe cost from a 150 to a 200 for materials is very very min. But its not too out of line. Now the install of a spa panel as well as multiple other recep on separate cir then he might be high for the area but around my way it might be right on the money.

Wow I spent 400 upgrading to a 200 amp panned from well ,a mess. Although there was no trenching. 1000 to 2000 sounds right if there is trenching. The panel is about 200 to 300, although the cost of breakers could add up. Get another quote for sure.

I had my house upgraded to a 200 amp service which included a new panel and breakers, meter socket, ground rod, and about 25' of service entry cable. It was right around $1200.

wow! I thought my quote was high.

i got a quote for a whole new panel (100amp), new mast, two new ground rods installed, for $1400.

I had my house upgraded to a 200 amp service which included a new panel and breakers, meter socket, ground rod, and about 25' of service entry cable. It was right around $1200.

You got friend prices there. I got quotes between $2800 and 3600 for the same kind of stuff so I ended up doing it myself on about $600 in parts.

What's running off that 60amp?

I just put in a 200 panel upgrade to a 100 so I can handle my greenhouse fans.

Grounding rod was sufficient for code, the city had to replace the main, and it costed me...hmm a few hundred bucks. Parts only, I had a friend that was electrician on hand to help me wire it in, and I did it myself.

I mean good lord the friggin box you can get for under a couple hundred dollars, then mostly it is just rewiring the poles. If you are replacing a box and you get the corresponding same type (GE, Square D), you can even use the same breakers.

I have no comprehension of paying such high prices.

What is that 60A 2-pole breaker for? Is that a subfeed?
If you can get away with it, I would look into putting in a subpanel rather than upgrade to 200A. Most houses that have a 200A service don't use close to that. But your service isn't labeled worth crap, so I am not sure what all that is for. But if you can do it, a subpanel and your spa panel could be a lot cheaper than a whole new service.

Just had an estimate done to install a spa panel. The electrician told me I'd have to get a bigger panel and that is really my only option. He quoted me 2000 for the panel and about 800 more the the extra outlets, one 30 amp and one 20 amp. I was planning on building a controls panel very soon, but now I don't know what to do. He described my panel as an "old split bus". I'll try to upload a pic. So my question is, does any one think I have any other options?

Thanks in advance

That's stupidly expensive. I got a 100amp subpanel run for $1500 and that included a bunch of 20 amp outlets and a 30 amp. the run was through a finished basement and needed 75 feet of service cable.

My service was described as, "Man, that is so far out of present code, some of it has been recalled and barred from use, anywhere, ever again. Seriously. This box, right down to this brand of breaker, is in our shop right now as a display of what not to have." A complete re-do from service in to all new box full of breakers and to have a look at why the outside outlet trips was about $1,800. This is in north Texas.

Latest posts

Back