Electrical enclosure

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottstribling

Reaction score
Have a question about the enclosure. I am currently building my control box and have a enclosure with no inner panel. Is that panel metal or fiberglass? I have a good sense of humor if this is a dumb question...

Interior Panel is usually made of 16 Gage Steel.

16 gage sounds a little thin for tapped holes, mine measures .113", which is somewhere between 10 and 11 gage.

If you are drilling and tapping holes, you probably want to have 2 to 3 threads of engagement, so for a 1/4-20 thread you want .100 to .150 thickness. For a 32 pitch thread you should be OK a thinner steel, such as 14 gage.

I've used HDPE cut to size hundred of times. Then attach all of the components or DIN rail with #8 pan-head screws. Just run them right in with a drill.

I am working on mine now, and using the solid sheetmetal cover from an old load panel I had laying around...planning on mounting the components with self tapping sheet metal screws. Mounting the panel from the backside of the enclosure with machine thread counter sinks, then spacers, then panel then washers/nuts. Shmear the backside screw heads with silicone... anybody see any problems with this config?

thanks

Back