Electric engineer help needed!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChileBrewer

Reaction score
I was cleaning out a part of my farm yesterday and I came across two window unit heat pump/AC units. They have been sitting for at least 7 or 8 years and are probably 15 or so years old. I plugged them in and out came a large cloud of dust, but both work perfect! I have a perfect room to use one for a fermentation chamber and would like to modify the old dial thermostat to be controlled with my new STC 1000 controller. I need help locating where to disconnect and to wire in the controller. Since these old units do both heat and cool it would be nice to have the same unit do both. Here is a picture of the thermostat front and back, I'll get some of the unit when I get it cleaned off.

zIgNd5.jpg
[/URL]

hltpTC.jpg
[/URL]

I can't see the pics very well but if you poke around, possibly take the cover off, you should see the wiring for both the fan and the compressor. Disconnect them from the front panel and/or any electronics and power them directly to see if they work (verify voltages first!). If so then just connect them to the STC-1000 and you're in business.

Back