Electric brewing "upkeep"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swackattack

Reaction score
Am considering purchasing an assembled kal panel with assembled probes and elements. I love the idea of electric but there is just one problem... I know nothing of electricity and don't really care to learn. IE I want a turnkey solution. I was planning on having an electrician install the necessary runs and outlets - but what if something goes wrong? It's not easy trouble shooting like a propane set up, I won't be able to troubleshoot much. Thoughts? After the initial set up and tinkering (which I think I should be able to avoid considering I'm purchasing 3k in equipment for spike innovations..) did you have anything go wrong?

Although there will me minimal upkeep or issues, you must remember your controle panel is no different from any other piece of electronics. Radios, tvs, computers.... every so often they break or go on the frits. It would be nice to be able to tinker and fix, since your panel doesnt come with a warranty.

I built my own kal clone. After 2 years, my boil kettle would not heat. My ssr broke. The only way I knew what was wrong and how to fix it was because I built it.

The guts are easy to fix if you know what to replace.

An automated gas will have similar issues. Simple components, easy too repair, as long as you can diagnose it.

milldoggy said:
I built my own kal clone. After 2 years, my boil kettle would not heat. My ssr broke. The only way I knew what was wrong and how to fix it was because I built it. The guts are easy to fix if you know what to replace. An automated gas will have similar issues. Simple components, easy too repair, as long as you can diagnose it.

I plan to pick up an extra contactor and SSR for this reason. That way if something goes out mid-brew I can wire up the new one or if a switch or breaker fails I can bypass it if need be.

But, there again, if you didn't build it, you're going to have a hell of a time trying to trouble shoot and fix it.

I also built from Kal's plans and aside from a couple of very minor issues the brewery is awesome. I have much more fun brewing now. The controllers work very well.

I do seem to have an occasional and transient power problem at the panel, but it is fleeting and so infrequent that I do not know the pattern yet.

It has been 2 years and quite a few batches and I would build it again. You could probably imagine a better brew stand than the one Kal suggests. If I can find a low cost glycol chiller/pump system then I may use glycol instead of water to cool my wort in the future.

Building the kettles was a piece of cake. Really easy.

You can probably save some quid on the pumps by buying polysulfone and replacing the heads separately (instead of buying the march pumps with ss heads included) - I think I saved $400 or something by doing that.

Best tip for using brewery: use hop leaf instead of pellets! Pellets clog the strainer...

All good points. Thanks. Maybe I should wait to see what blichmann is offering. Looks pretty bare bones, but will come with a warranty and based on the pricing estimates from the nhc video will be far less expensive than a kal pannel and set up.

I know nothing of electricity and don't really care to learn.

I see your problem right there. You need to know your system, otherwise you'll be helpless if any issue, or emergency comes up. The best way to know your system is to build it.

Not to toot my own design horn too much, but one of the benefits of my design is that a complete list of parts, where to get them, assembly instructions, and wiring diagrams are available. You basically get a comprehensive service and maintenance manual for life. All the parts are standardized off the shelf components (no custom parts) so replacements or substitutions are easy to find. This is what I wanted for my setup: Something that I could keep running for the rest of my life without worrying about a certain part or company still being available.

You don't get this with other electronic devices with this throw-away and replace world we live in today. You can't even get your TV or radio fixed if you wanted to, but I digress...

I plan to pick up an extra contactor and SSR for this reason. That way if something goes out mid-brew I can wire up the new one or if a switch or breaker fails I can bypass it if need be.
No need to do that. If you use my design you already have double of everything with the boil kettle and HLT "systems" in the control panel. Simply swap the heating element plugs and continue.

Kal

Thanks for the clarification Kal. Since you've designed your panel...how often are the pre assembled panels in need of some sort of servicing?

They should never be in need of regular servicing.

Like everything else electronic in the world however, things do break. I don't remember offhand of any replacement parts being sent out under warranty for panels that our manufacturer assembled.

Kal

No need to do that. If you use my design you already have double of everything with the boil kettle and HLT "systems" in the control panel. Simply swap the heating element plugs and continue.

Kal

When I found out my bk ssr was toast, I was sparging. Moved some plugs and finished the day. Auber shipped me a new ssr in 2 days. Took 5 minutes to swap and back to normal. Kals point about common standard parts is a huge bonus.

kal said:
No need to do that. If you use my design you already have double of everything with the boil kettle and HLT "systems" in the control panel. Simply swap the heating element plugs and continue. Kal

Kal, good point. Come to think of it, I've got 3 contactors (one controlling power to the panel) and 4x 40a SSRs. Screw the spares :mug:

Kal,

Im assuming since its standardized and off the shelf parts...if something where to go wrong, its something an electrician buddy of mine could take a look at or repair if provided with the wiring diagrams etc?

Kal,

Im assuming since its standardized and off the shelf parts...if something where to go wrong, its something an electrician buddy of mine could take a look at or repair if provided with the wiring diagrams etc?

Correct. You don't even need the wiring diagrams. Say you have to replace a switch... you simply unscrew the wires from the back using a screwdriver, remove the switch, slide a new one in and put the wires back where they were before. You really don't need an electrician to do this but if you're uncomfortable doing this then by all means get someone else. (Many of the people who build the panel themselves had zero experience in wiring or electrical and building it from scratch is considerably more work than replacing a single part).

You really only need the wiring diagrams if you want to build one from scratch and/or want to understand better how it works.

By using standardized parts you guarantee quick serviceability and that parts will always be available. Say, for example, a PID dies in 20 years. You can buy any similar PID from any manufacturer and drop it in as the functionality will be the same. There are hundreds of choices. It does not necessarily have to the same manufacturer at all (Auberins). The hole sizes are all standard understood manufacturing sizes (1/16 DIN for PIDs, 23mm for switches/lights, etc.) because the industry that uses these parts demands easy and quick serviceability. Pull the old one out, put the new one in.

I made a big investment in my brewing room and setup myself. I didn't want to be 'stuck' in 2, 5, 10, or even 20 years if something died and have to rework a bunch of stuff like trying to fit a smaller PID in a larger hole or vice versa. So the parts (relays, PIDs, switches, etc.) used in my control panel are all extremely common parts. They've existed for dozens of years and they will continue to exist because of the tens of thousands of (non-brewery related) industrial installations around the world running today that rely on them. I'm not married to one particular part or manufacturer. Not everyone would care for this level of serviceability or find using commonly available parts boring (not cutting edge) but it's something I wanted myself. I just want to make beer. I don't like to tinker with equipment. I'm sick of that - I just want it to work.

Kal

Correct. You don't even need the wiring diagrams. Say you have to replace a switch... you simply unscrew the wires from the back using a screwdriver, remove the switch, slide a new one in and put the wires back where they were before. You really don't need an electrician to do this but if you're uncomfortable doing this then by all means get someone else. (Many of the people who build the panel themselves had zero experience in wiring or electrical and building it from scratch is considerably more work than replacing a single part).

You really only need the wiring diagrams if you want to build one from scratch and/or want to understand better how it works.

By using standardized parts you guarantee quick serviceability and that parts will always be available. Say, for example, a PID dies in 20 years. You can buy any similar PID from any manufacturer and drop it in as the functionality will be the same. There are hundreds of choices. It does not necessarily have to the same manufacturer at all (Auberins). The hole sizes are all standard understood manufacturing sizes (1/16 DIN for PIDs, 23mm for switches/lights, etc.) because the industry that uses these parts demands easy and quick serviceability. Pull the old one out, put the new one in.

I made a big investment in my brewing room and setup myself. I didn't want to be 'stuck' in 2, 5, 10, or even 20 years if something died and have to rework a bunch of stuff like trying to fit a smaller PID in a larger hole or vice versa. So the parts (relays, PIDs, switches, etc.) used in my control panel are all extremely common parts. They've existed for dozens of years and they will continue to exist because of the tens of thousands of (non-brewery related) industrial installations around the world running today that rely on them. I'm not married to one particular part or manufacturer. Not everyone would care for this level of serviceability or find using commonly available parts boring (not cutting edge) but it's something I wanted myself. I just want to make beer. I don't like to tinker with equipment. I'm sick of that - I just want it to work.

Kal

Amen to that. I wish ovens and ranges stayed as standard over the years. :)

You basically get a comprehensive service and maintenance manual for life
Kal

Your site has been a HUGE help for me building my own system. Even with it differing extremely from yours, your site has a ton of great and useful information. Coming from no electrical experience to building my own system (which will be running by Christmas) is a huge step for me and it really attests to the quality and volume of information on your site.

Back