Electric brewing element - plug straight in?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jayfro21

Reaction score
Pardon my ignorance in electrical systems, but I was just thinking yesterday during my brew day on my electric system about this topic. My set-up is very simple, basically a 1600 watt element that plugs into a controller that I simply put on 100% power to attain my strike water temperature and subsequently boil with. I only brew 2.5 gallon batches, so typically I am boiling around 4 gallons of water. My question is this: if this controlled craps out at some point, can I simply plug the element into power, since I am running it at 100% anyways? Thanks to those with much more electrical knowledge than myself!

Absolutely. And if you're only doing 100%, just skip the controller right now, no need for it.
Ok I figured as much! I used to do the whole temperature control mash with a pump with the controller (mini UniBrau), but the pump crapped out and i burned out an element once with poor drainage. So now it is basically full volume mashes in a cooler and the element simply heats. Thanks for the input!

i acquired an electric filament with a tri clamp fitting and put it in a 14 gal kettle. it has a L6-30 plug but i made a 120v edison adapter and use it. i took it apart and rewired everything tight. there are no markings. the first time i plugged it in was dicey but i wore rubber gloves and metered everything and it worked fine. still does. goes straight in the wall. i boil 5 gallons of tap water in 2 hours. i heat 4 gal of tap water to steam out chlorine to use for coffee water too. it works until it doesnt.

Latest posts

Back