Electric Brew Pots

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bargoon1

Reaction score
So I'm fairly new to home brewing - a return after a absence of an number of years.
I've watched quite a few YouTube videos but recently saw a couple of them from Europe, particularly from Britain.
I noticed they had electric heating elements installed in what looked to be plastic boilers.
Is this possible without melting the plastic containers?

Yes, as long as the element is surrounded by liquid. As to why they do it? Beats me. Dry fire it just once and you may burn your house down. I use a home made 1500 watt heat stick to stir my mash when I want to warm it up a bit, but I never let it sit still, and try to keep it away from the plastic sides of the cooler.

it depends on the plastic, whether boiling in it is a problem or not. i personally wouldn't do it but if the material is rated for the temperature, no inherent problem with it.

it depends on the plastic, whether boiling in it is a problem or not. i personally wouldn't do it but if the material is rated for the temperature, no inherent problem with it.
You are correct, of course. In the video examples I have seen, they were only heating strike water in a round cooler.

when it's pretty cheap to get a stainless container of the same size, i see no point to boiling/heating in plastic. fermenting, on the other hand... i do all the time in plastic.

Well, bu&&er me! The Home Brew Shop UK sells Electric HLT, Mash tun, and Electric Boil Kettle, all three made from cubical Igloo plastic coolers! Not for me, lads.

Link to Chop and Brew episode where an Irish homebrewer talks about his plastic boiler...apparently it's temp rated, food grade and is common for Euro Brewers.

:mug:

Back