Elderberry and pear?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gstricker

Reaction score
So I've got 5 gallons fermenting. I usually backsweeten with concentrate or another type of juice to add a little more flavor. My wife suggested elderberries and pear as a good flavor combo to accent the cider...

Any ideas for the elderberry? I'm thinking of boiling some dried berries in minimal water and adding some honey or just table sugar to make a syrup. Then adding some to taste before I rack it into my kegs...

The pear I was going to make a juice extract (juice some pears, freeze, decant)... and again try some ratios before legging...

Any tips or suggestions?

Pear is pretty neutral but brings sugar to the party and great for sweetening a dry cider without changing the flavor profile too much. I have used Elderberry in Mead and is an amazing flavor but could easily overpower cider.

I would suggest you use some of the pear juice to steep the elderberries in to pick up the flavor and add to taste.

Would be very interested in hearing how it turns out.

Thanks for the notes and the word of caution on Elderberries. I will let you know how it goes and what method I use.

I think i'm going to juice some pears in a juicer, and then use the freeze concentrate method to get the pear concentrate. I think I'll then create a elderberry simple syrup. Mix the two together to get a good balance, then add to taste for the entire keg.

Know to carb first and add to taste and monkey with carbing after or just flavor still and then carb up...

Back