Edme Wheat Beer Kit-can I add honey??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Alrighty folks, going out on a limb with the second batch...:D

I have an Edme Wheat kit (4 lbs), and wanted to find out how/if I could add honey (and if so, when) to create a honey wheat style beer. I also purchased:
--a 3 lb bag of Muntons Wheat DME (55% wheat/45% barley) and
--American style Hefeweizen yeast (liquid)

I've seen a few threads, but they don't really address creating honey wheat beer from a kit, as I am attempting to do.

I am ready with a blow-off as well, 'cause my bro in law made the mistake of not being prepared and had foam coming out his pantry...

Muchas Gracias!

Well, you could use that 4lbs kit (dry I assume), plus another 1lbs of the wheat dme. Add in 1lbs of honey at flame out after the wort has cooled below 150°. That should land you around 1.050-1.055 OG for a 5 gallon batch.

Actually, the 4 lbs kit is the can with the yeast, but I am using a different yeast as suggested by the homebrew hdqrtrs folks...

So should I start with this, then add a lb of the DME and then a lb of honey? This is all so new, and somewhat confusing!:confused:

OK, so the 4lbs is liquid malt extract.

You have

-4lbs of Liquid Malt Extract (its basically dry malt extract with water in it, syrup form)
-3lbs of Dried Malt Extract (dry version of liquid malt extract)
hops? Does the can say that it is "hopped" If not do you have hops for this? If so, you are "ok".
-1lbs of honey, nearly 100% fermentable sugars. Your yeast love this stuff.
-Liquid hefe yeast... will eat your malt extract, honey, and produce booze and CO2

Thanks sirsloop! I was just confused on if I should put all 3 lbs of DME, but now that I read your initial response again, I am to use 1 lb of DME and add 1 lb honey. Sounds great! I'm gonna brew tonight!!

hey so how'd it work out? I'm actually planning on doing the same kit tomorrow. My second batch too, haha. I'm planning on adding 40 oz of honey and maybe some sugar to bring the abv up a bit.

Will he need any dextrose or will the DME and Honey replace it? Just wondering since he said "all i have is DME,LME and Honey"

Latest posts

Back